• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford's new all electric F-150. Really?

Not something I'd buy, and I suspect prone to many problems. However, as much as I dislike electric power it's indisputable that if you want torque electric will deliver.
Just can’t deliver it very long. Without spending hours recharging.
You guys know how fast a battery goes dead in your sawzall or grinder verses how long it takes to recharge the battery.

wanna get one of these new electric f150s and hook a 22 foot camper to it and leave Macon and head to Vogel state park , no way any electric vehicle towing a camper would make it over Neels Gap.
not now, not 20 years from now .

I surprised the auto makers are not doing more hybrids to fill in the gap between gas powered and all electric.Chevrolet
I surprised the auto makers are not doing more hybrids to fill in the gap between gas powered and all electric.
Chevrolet made a hybrid Yukon for about two years and stopped making it.

Dunno why
It added 5 mpg to the city driving .
and getting a vehicle from 15 mpg to 20 mpg saves the same amount of gasoline as getting a vehicle from 35 mpg to 50 mpg .

Chevrolet made a hybrid Yukon for about two years and stopped making it.

Dunno why
It added 5 mpg to the city driving .
and getting a vehicle from 15 mpg to 20 mpg saves the same amount of gasoline as getting a vehicle from 35 mpg to 50 mpg .

No one was buying it. Missed that market by a mile! Who buys a Yukon to "go green"? The city dwellers and their Prius and Yaris and Leaf owners are the audience here. No one that loads up a Yukon (Me!) to haul kids and guns to go off somewhere all weekend is going to buy an electric version. Say I drove down to South Ga (Lake Seminole area), where the hell do I plug in and charge up? The local boat ramp or beer and bait store? It's over 4 hours to get there now, how many hours do I need to allocate a day so I can charge the battery and get back to North Ga?

No one was buying it. Missed that market by a mile! Who buys a Yukon to "go green"? The city dwellers and their Prius and Yaris and Leaf owners are the audience here. No one that loads up a Yukon (Me!) to haul kids and guns to go off somewhere all weekend is going to buy an electric version. Say I drove down to South Ga (Lake Seminole area), where the hell do I plug in and charge up? The local boat ramp or beer and bait store? It's over 4 hours to get there now, how many hours do I need to allocate a day so I can charge the battery and get back to North Ga?
Just get a trailer to pull your 10kw genset.

And therein is the Achilles Heel of the all electric vehicle movement.

Take a gas/diesel truck and electric truck with a 300 mile range.

Drive 300 miles - the petroleum fueled vehicles can pull into one of hundreds of gas stations, and refuel for another 300 miles in less than 5 minutes. The electric vehicle has to find a charging station, and it will take overnight to get a "full tank". If it has access to a high speed charging station it still will take about 3 hours, during which time the charging station is out of service for the rest of the world.

Talk is about converting to all electric in 20 years. USA will not have the infrastructure to support all electric vehicles for 50 years, if then, If the tree huggers get the willies at a pipeline, wait until they start crisscrossing the country with high amperage lines (high EMR) to deliver a sufficient quantity of electricity to Climax, GA. You don't just fill up a tanker and drop off the KW at the local 7-11.

When you consider how much of the country doesn't have internet access, and in 20 years, you are going to supply that same parts of the country with enough electrical energy to meet all of its needs. B.S.

Actually the charge times with the new fast charging stations is pretty quick. Fifteen minutes or so to get back 60% of your range. That's the Tesla Superchargers but the other charging companies are starting to catch up.

Still, I agree that the idea of an all-electric future don't make sense. There's certain types of tasks that need dead dinos to get them done. But I do think electric will probably take over the whole market for commuters, especially of gas keeps climbing.

I have one ordered. Im looking to replace a service truck in my fleet. We will still have a '19 F250 4x4 diesel, '15 Chebby 2500 4x4 HD and a '15 F150 Coyote 4x4 though.

Back
Top Bottom