• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford EcoBoost 1.6 question

diacnik

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
John 14:6
85   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking at buying a Ford Escape 2013-15, and wondering: is there any way to determine if the turbo has been maintained properly? Any other things to watch for in this model? Thanks

The three most important things to turbos are. Don’t hammer it immediately from a cold start, don’t run it hard and shut it down immediately. Keep clean oil flowing to the bearings that does not coke easily.(synthetic oil mostly)
I always idle my turbo vehicles for 30 seconds before shutting down and try to stay off high boost for a couple of minutes before shutdown.

without talking to an honest previous owner there is no way to know how it was driven or what oil was used, usually you can get the oil change history on car fax.

The three most important things to turbos are. Don’t hammer it immediately from a cold start, don’t run it hard and shut it down immediately. Keep clean oil flowing to the bearings that does not coke easily.(synthetic oil mostly)
I always idle my turbo vehicles for 30 seconds before shutting down and try to stay off high boost for a couple of minutes before shutdown.

without talking to an honest previous owner there is no way to know how it was driven or what oil was used, usually you can get the oil change history on car fax.
thanks!
Anyone have one of these vehicles? Overall pleased with it or any big problems?

Figure the turbo and timing chain will need to be replaced, and price it accordingly.

That is the only way you can protect yourself. If no sale at that price point, move on.

thanks!
Anyone have one of these vehicles? Overall pleased with it or any big problems?

My family has had 4 of them over the past 7 years. Never any issues related to the turbo. We did have coolant issues with a 2013 but the dealership took care of it. My wife currently drives a 2014 that just passed 120k miles. She has no desire or pons to replace it anytime soon.

the turbos do go out, but very rare from what ive researched since i bought my escape.

the only really big problem would be the coolant issue. there is a ford tsb about it. coolant can leak into the #3 cylinder causing misfire and all sorts of other issues. if this happens, its a new block. ive seen both short and long blocks used as a replacement. the 1.6 is the most prone to this, but it did happen to my 2.0 escape and i had a new longblock put in, thankfully still under factory warranty.

also, drain and fill tranny fluid every 30k. this mercon lv does not last 120k like ford says. i was having shudder issues at 67k miles while driving around 40-45 6th gear/OD. Just did a drain and fill and the shudder is gone. i did 2 drain and fill cycles to help get as much of the old fluid out i can. will be doing a drain and fill every 30k from now on.

Back
Top Bottom