• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For the "snubbers"

The non-cop, non-military guy who said online
that the “FBI data” demonstrated that the “vast majority” of shooting confrontations happen “within six yards.”
and stated that, at twenty feet, he can put a hit from his snub in the “abdomen” of a silhouette target … in less than a second …

... is smart, I think.
Always aligning your sights is a mistake if it slows you down significantly
and if,
also, shooting while looking across your gun's entire top side while "pointing" it gets you good hits faster.

5 yards is certainly in my "pointing gets good groups" distance.
I'm not sure about 7 or 10 yards, with a .38 or .357 snubby revolver.

I'm sure that at 15 yds, I'd better be using the sights,
even if it takes an extra half a second.

The goal in practical-shooting competition is getting acceptable hits as fast as possible. You're waiting on some kind of cue that the gun is sufficiently aligned before firing the shot, and part of training is learning whether this is body alignment, flash of a front sight/dot, or stable sight picture for different target presentations. Each of these is more precise but takes longer, and there's no benefit for shooting the center vs. the edge of the A-zone.

The non-cop, non-military guy who said online
that the “FBI data” demonstrated that the “vast majority” of shooting confrontations happen “within six yards.”
and stated that, at twenty feet, he can put a hit from his snub in the “abdomen” of a silhouette target … in less than a second …

... is smart, I think.
Always aligning your sights is a mistake if it slows you down significantly
and if,
also, shooting while looking across your gun's entire top side while "pointing" it gets you good hits faster.

5 yards is certainly in my "pointing gets good groups" distance.
I'm not sure about 7 or 10 yards, with a .38 or .357 snubby revolver.

I'm sure that at 15 yds, I'd better be using the sights,
even if it takes an extra half a second.
I agree with your comments. It reminds me of one of the Bibb Co Sheriffs from the early 90s. He hated Glocks and that's why I think they're still using Smiths. But that's not the point. This particular old head sherriff told the higher ups he wanted to remove the rear sights from duty pistols because the duputies should be looking at where the front sight is at all times. I assumed the point he was getting at was to get them to instinctively find the target and not take a.lot of time looking for the perfect sight picture.

Back
Top Bottom