• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

? For the scattergun guys.....

Thanks for the info I’ll check it out. I love how light it is, easily the lightest 12 gauge semi auto I’ve ever owned but the comfort tech stock makes it not as bad to shoot as you’d expect. With low recoil 00 this thing runs like a 20 gauge.

I believe Taran Tactical makes one.

Thanks for the info I’ll check it out. I love how light it is, easily the lightest 12 gauge semi auto I’ve ever owned but the comfort tech stock makes it not as bad to shoot as you’d expect. With low recoil 00 this thing runs like a 20 gauge.
oh they are a dream to shoot I have thousands of rounds through mine in comps the last few years and its my favorite to shoot out of the three we use in 3gun

I realize you have an 870, but a viable option is a Mossberg 500 with an OPSol adapter to shoot minishells the advantage being more rounds on-board immediately. When I think truck gun I think short range "battle" not sniping at 100 yards. Same rationale as the Judge 410 revolvers. I would think 25 rounds of buckshot would be plenty.

I realize you have an 870, but a viable option is a Mossberg 500 with an OPSol adapter to shoot minishells the advantage being more rounds on-board immediately. When I think truck gun I think short range "battle" not sniping at 100 yards. Same rationale as the Judge 410 revolvers. I would think 25 rounds of buckshot would be plenty.
So many people crap on Judges but with the right ammo even the short barrel ones pattern deadly out 10 yards.

It depends on what you're planning to do with it.

If you just want a "heavy hitter" then buckshot. Perhaps 50 rounds in a DEEP pouch (preferably with an elastic lining) to keep from losing them during "dynamic" movement. Velcro shotgun holders that you can slap onto the side are nice I suppose (I have one), but they make the shotgun wider and heavier, so I wouldn't recommend them for "It's the end of the world and I need to get home" use. Also, the 870 fore end is quite large; many sidesaddle shotshell holders will interfere with it. Reaching into a pouch to grab reloads seems more reasonable to me. A bandoleer is more secure, but "feels" slower to access. Practice on your own and make your own decision.

Bead front sight on an 18 inch barrel would do fine, and extended mag tube is nice. Upgrade the carrier spring and get a tool steel extractor if yours is an Express model with the MIM extractor. I don't know if it's really necessary, but a lot of people who seem to know think it is important, and you can do it for about $25. Larger safety buttons, while not necessary, are inexpensive enough to easily justify the cost. The Streamlight lighted fore end is also a nice addition that isn't ridiculously expensive like the Surefire, although the Surefire is awesome. Or skip the "tacticool" look and keep the stock and fore end "brown", which may not look as "bad", depending on what goes down. Think about appearances when you decide on whether to get an extended mag tube.

If you want more range, get a barrel with sights and add some slugs into the mix. Perhaps 20-25 slugs in a bandoleer, with buck shot in the pouch? I can easily shoot a 6" group with slugs at 100 yards, which is plenty good enough in most situations. It adds range and a lot more energy over a pistol. You might also consider adding a small red dot. At this point a 20" barrel would also work, and you can fit an extended tube that holds 7 instead of 6; however, I would personally keep it around 18", as it's lighter and more handy.

Shotguns aren't as good as carbines for suppressive fire, but a 12 gauge slug will definitely render cover into concealment! Plus, when facing a shotgun the barrel looks HUGE. That alone can end many "discussions".

There are plenty of 870 barrels available. A rifled slug barrel is wicked accurate past 100 yards. Firing shot shells from a rifled barrel will not harm it.

remember the FBI statistics say that 99% of all shootings use LESS than 3 rounds.

I would want to have an empty chamber, a full tube, (extended tube is more better) a sleeve with an extra 6 on the stock plus 50 rounds somewhere in the truck.

Enough to get you home is the correct answer. But what worries me more are the guys on here worried about how much ammo other people carrying in their car, they are also the kind to tell you " you have to many guns." " You need the shot cause I got the shot but it doesn't work unless you get it too."

12 + 7 + 5 = 24 shells, all buck shot. Is what I believe is enough to get home with it. Plus 34 rnds of 9mm in 2 spare mags.

20210605_161719.jpg
20210605_161557.jpg
20210605_161012.jpg

My truck long gun is a 12 ga Stevens 67E pump. 67's were used in Vietnam, good gun.
Mine is just a plain old bird gun, loaded with OO Buck. Five more OO in a nylon butt cuff.
And I also have two more 5 round boxes in the vehicle.

Honestly, stopping my truck, getting out, and pulling out the shotgun would be pretty stupid if I could just drive away. The 357 in my console, or the 357 in my glovebox are more suited to truck borne defense anyway.

If an 870 was going to be your "truck gun", how much ammo would you feel is "enough" and how would you store/carry said amount? Ratio of buck/slug?

When a folding stocked Ruger Mini 14 was my truck gun, I believe I had
four 30-round mags with me on the road. One in the gun and three of them in a pouch/vest stored right next to the gun.
( The idea of caring 500 or 1000 rounds for defensive purposes for a private citizen in peacetime is just ridiculous).

Now, when I carry a pump action shotgun in my vehicle for defense
(as the only long gun), I usually just have the tubular magazine of the gun fully loaded, and I keep handy one extra box 5-round box of buckshot,
and another five rounds of slugs.

If I need to bring out the shotgun in an emergency
and if I have 10 extra seconds to spare (which is doubtful)
I would rip open each box of slugs and buckshot and dump them into two separate pockets of the clothing I am wearing.

P.S. I also make sure to carry a couple rounds of small bird shot in a Ziploc bag somewhere in my vehicle. Not for life-threatening emergencies, but in case I needed to dispatch a wounded animal or rabid / nuisance animal in an urban or suburban area where it wouldn't be good to have big hunks of lead flying around.

Back
Top Bottom