• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

? For the scattergun guys.....

Boot71

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
If an 870 was going to be your "truck gun", how much ammo would you feel is "enough" and how would you store/carry said amount? Ratio of buck/slug?
We all know 5.56 is less bulky and lighter, but in this case, 12 ga is the only option. Alot of guys I know keep 1000 rds of 5.56 loaded in mags in a backpack for their truck gun. That probably ain't gonna happen with 12ga.....
So, what are y'alls thoughts?
Please forgo suggestions of using anything other than the shotgun as the long arm carried in your vehicle.

Nothing wrong with a good scatter gun for a truck long arm. Good Slugs are usually fairly accurate out to 50 yards from smooth bore barrels. I’d recommend maybe a 20” barrel over an 18” though to get alittle extra velocity. If I were to keep a shotgun in my truck for an extended period of time as a truck gun I’d keep it locked in my trucks toolbox since you’re not worried about how quick you can get to it (that’s your handguns job) and that’s the most secure place to possibly keep it in a truck. I’d say a loaded shotgun plus 25 rounds of buckshot and 25 rounds of slugs would be more than sufficient firepower to tackle most any situation within 50 yards (maybe alittle farther with the slugs)

I’d feel more than comfortable with either my Benelli M2 tactical or Winchester 1300 defender. I really prefer Mossberg though for a “tactical” shotgun because they are the absolute easiest shotguns to load (my 1300 gives it a run for its money). My benelli is the nicest to shoot but it will skin your thumb in a heartbeat loading it lol.
27EE6C36-7C7C-449C-A86A-1599D66F2BF6.jpeg
1B7EFE66-879F-4862-9757-A6BF425B83F3.jpeg

Wide open question. But a good one. Really depends on realistic anticipated use. First off, a running car or truck is a really good defensive weapon.
But I love my sxs. 20” does get more velocity but 18” is really handy.
Even with chamber mods and practice very hard to reload, hard to carry ammo. Something about the sight of a short sxs, adds time. Two very loud shots, drive like hell.
Dead vehicle in combat zone is a whole nother story. As many sleeve speed loaders as you can carry on foot!!! But easy door opener! Lol

people riding around with 1000 rounds worries me way more than anything i ever expect to ride up on in the real world. who really thinks they'll ever end up in a situation where they need that? y'all must live in atlanta or something. out here a 6 shooter and shotugun with maybe a 2nd helping on top of what they hold is more than enough.

I’d feel more than comfortable with either my Benelli M2 tactical or Winchester 1300 defender. I really prefer Mossberg though for a “tactical” shotgun because they are the absolute easiest shotguns to load (my 1300 gives it a run for its money). My benelli is the nicest to shoot but it will skin your thumb in a heartbeat loading it lol.
View attachment 3329164 View attachment 3329168

There is an aftermarket shell lifter that will cure that "Benelli thumb" other than that, that shotgun is perfect!

Well first the 12ga is just devastating no matter what shell is in it. That said probably 100-150 rounds of assorted shells would do nicely. Maybe 75rds of 00Buck, 50rds of slugs and 25 of #6 low brass. Rig up two 25rd bandoliers the rest in a go to shooter's bag. I like the Mossberg 500 for a Tac shotgun with a 8 shot tube. If you need any more, that's plenty of ammo that you should have been able to pick up a few weapons and ammo from others.

boom sticks for the win!!!!! check out the velcro shell cards, slap some velcro on the left side of the receiver, right side of the stock, load a chest rig with extra cards (they fit in ar mag pouches) then blow holes in ****!!!!

View attachment 3329164 View attachment 3329168
get a company like Briley, dissident, or Taran tactical to do the 3gun receiver cut and add the taran tactical lifter and you will be able to throw shells into that m2

There is an aftermarket shell lifter that will cure that "Benelli thumb" other than that, that shotgun is perfect!
Thanks for the info I’ll check it out. I love how light it is, easily the lightest 12 gauge semi auto I’ve ever owned but the comfort tech stock makes it not as bad to shoot as you’d expect. With low recoil 00 this thing runs like a 20 gauge.

Back
Top Bottom