• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FNX-9

greglat1

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
320   0
Reaction score
General info: I purchase my first FNH product about 6 months ago, the FNX-9. I have owned, or currently own every major brand of 9MM including: Beretta 92F, Glock 19, S&W M&P 9, and Sig 226. I mainly purchased the FNX-9 because it felt good in my hand and I like the “cocked and locked” safety. It took me a few trips to the range to really start to appreciate this design, but it is now my favorite 9MM in the safe. Here are a few of the highlights: ambi controls (safety, mag release, slide release), interchangeable backstraps with size and texture variations. Standard 17 round mags; three included with the gun.

On the range: The FNX-9 can hang with any of my other 9MM for accuracy and the groups are tight. You don't have any stray fliers due to the heavy double action trigger pull on the first round, since you can come out of safety with the hammer back. The trigger has a crisp break, but there is a lot of slack to take up before the break. The double action pull is probably the heaviest I've felt on any gun, but who needs it with this cocked and locked setup. The gun has really nice pointability and recoil control due to the high grip axis which allows for a fairly high grip on the gun. I have yet to experience a failure with this firearm (knock on wood), and I have run new and reloads through it.

What I would change: The factory sights leave a lot to be desired and, at the time of my purchase, no night sights were available. A shorter reset trigger would be nice on this gun. The floor plate on the FNX mags are overly large and, while this has not contributed to any problems, it is awkward in the my mag pouch. Some of these features may correct themselves in the aftermarket as the FNX grows in popularity and extra part become more readily available. Factory mags are very $$$$ at around $50.

Final comments: For the price (I paid $599.99 w/ $100 rebate = $499.99), this is a great gun and can go head-to-head with more expensive 9MMs. Breakdown and cleaning are easy and the size is more comparable to a midsized handgun than a full size. It is shorter in length than my fullsize 9s, but slightly larger than a Glock 19.

Last edited:
Well done! I saw one the other day, and it did feel good in my hand. May have to check one out myself.

The FNP-9 only holds 16 rounds and the FNX-9 hold 17. Also, only the desert tan version of the FNP, labeled the "USG" version, has the three position safety allowing for cocked and locked carry. The black and stainless models have decock only. The grip textures are a little less aggressive on the FNP but, otherwise, both guns have roughly the same dimensions. The FNP is also void of front cocking serrations, if you rack the slide from the front or perform press checks, you will find them on the FNX only.

FNP45 is next on the list.

The FNP-9 only holds 16 rounds and the FNX-9 hold 17. Also, only the desert tan version of the FNP, labeled the "USG" version, has the three position safety allowing for cocked and locked carry. The black and stainless models have decock only. The grip textures are a little less aggressive on the FNP but, otherwise, both guns have roughly the same dimensions. The FNP is also void of front cocking serrations, if you rack the slide from the front or perform press checks, you will find them on the FNX only.

FNP45 is next on the list.

They changed that, you can get the FNP-9 as well in black or duotone with the manual safety. They are out there you just have to look. I am a proud owner of a FNP-9 USG FDE, most accurate and reliable 9 I've ever owned. 1300 rounds without a single hiccup and counting.

I should have bought one of these when they were available so cheaply through the NRA Instructor discount program. They appear to be nice pistols but have virtually no aftermarket support.

Back
Top Bottom