• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fly Fishing Thread .....

Ok ordered a 5wt. I think I might like buying fishing stuff as much or more than fishing
What 5wt rod did you end up buying?

I have both 5wt and 8wt and like them both equally. The 5wt will handle all sorts of fish. The only real downside (if you want to call it a downside) to the 5wt is when you start trying to cast giant flies. If there is a lot of weight to the fly or a lot of resistance flying thru the air, it will mess with the casting. It can be done, just be mindful of the size of the fly.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I have both 5wt and 8wt and like them both equally. The 5wt will handle all sorts of fish. The only real downside (if you want to call it a downside) to the 5wt is when you start trying to cast giant flies. If there is a lot of weight to the fly or a lot of resistance flying thru the air, it will mess with the casting. It can be done, just be mindful of the size of the fly.

A heavier and stiffer leader and tippet helps with that. Gets the line and fly to turn over more easily.

I found a guy on FB that builds them as a hobby. Really like talking to the guy and his story so I went for it. We shall see.

That's very cool! Keep us updated.

It’s $225 so even if it’s not everything I’m hoping for I’m not devastated. He is using China blanks but so aren’t many rod manufacturers. One of my favorite bait cast rods is one a friend built for me. It’s built around a China blank and I would say it’s as good or better than my G-Loomis. The guy is backed up 4 weeks so it will be a while.

Cool thing is the guy will build you ant specialty thing you could want.

He also told me I might want to use a 6wt line to slow the rod down a little while I am learning.

Never forget that the first job of a fishing lure is not to catch fish, it's to catch fishermen.

That is extremely true. Though if it is flies i make they tend to be the opposite. They don't look the prettiest but they definitely catch fish.

I just ordered some more, myself. Fishing videos on YouTube are not your friend. LOL!

He sent me a pic of my handle section today :)
60EC0170-4D73-4810-9A4F-E4FCB3D432C2.jpeg

crippen crippen if it makes you feel better about your selection, my son caught this with a 5wt.
View attachment 3320924

I'm actually glad I ask you guys. The guy building the rod also agreed with you guys. I had already ordered a 6 and I changed it to a 5

You know if feel like I need a heavier rod I will just have to buy one more...Just one more. :)

Those were on the 5wt today. Echo river glass. Obviously nothing like the fish above ha. But still fun. Who is making the rod? Feel free to PM me if he doesn't want his name posted here.

I like the look of that rod.
20210621_150918.jpg

Back
Top Bottom