• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fly fishing advice!!!

DrewR700

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
220   0
Reaction score
Hey fellas! I'm just getting into fly fishing and have been doing some research on what types of flies I should be using and I figured the ol ODT would be a great resource. Any of you fellas know what type of flies would be good to use around the streams in north Georgia. Looking to get on some trout and I think I'm missing more than I'm catching. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Black and olive cone head wooly buggers size 6-10 always to well. A parachute Adams size 12-18. If you see trout slurping on the surface, but are not sure what they are eating, go with the smallest black fly you can find?

The most important thing is to see what insect is hatching and match a fly to it.

You've got yourself a lot of territory to cover with this, troutman says correctly in "matching the hatch". Do a internet search for north Georgia trout hatch and you will find the several groups have posted what bugs are "on the menu" for this time of year.

I will pass along a couple of pointers that have taken me quite a while to get through my thick skull. Bigger ain't better necessarily, I very rarely fish a bug bigger than a size 8 and those are girdle bugs (also known as stonefly nymphs). Unless you happen upon the glorious sight of trout feeding on the top of the water I normally don't spend a lot of time working topwater unless I am using a dry/dropper combination. That being said, as summer is upon us don't squander the opportunity to throw some grasshopper patterns. Another huge consideration is the position of your fly in the water column. There are several moods to ensure that the groceries are getting down to the fish. Personally, if I'm not hanging up on the bottom every now and then, then I go a little deeper with my presentation be that adding weight or lengthening the amount of distance between the fly an strike indicator. Also, strike indicator (bobber for fly rods) really help when getting started.

Some good flies to stock up on that will serve you well in north Georgia: rabbit's ear nymph, stonefly nymphs, prince nymph, copper John, zebra nymph, rainbow warrior, squirmy worm for after a good rain, and as previously mentioned wooly buggers of all combinations. Black and olive are can't go wrong patterns as they can be swung, stripped, or dead-drifted and mimics everything. I tie a red, brown, and barred olive bugger with a copper bead head that is my go-to when business is slow. Dry flies: blue wing olives, Adams flies, elk hair caddis.

If you have the spare change and time seek out a qualified guide service and do a half day or so. I went with one for my bachelor party and learned more that day then I had in years of misguided self teaching. Before long you will tying your own flies and building your own rods.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom