• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Flashing an ECM

Ex313

Air Force Icon Supporter
Wooba Gooba With The Green Teeth
13   0
Reaction score
My son has replaced the engine of his 1998 Chevy C1500.

He has to get the ECM re-flashed or reimaged.
Is this something you can do at home or does it need to be done somewhere else?

I was reading something on Reddit or someplace that you can do a "reset" and then drive around for half an hour and the computer should reset itself. Is that correct?

Sometimes. Depending on the make/model. I built Nissan 240 drift cars for my 3 sons while in high school and early college and, at the time, had programming tools to re-program air/fuel maps, shift speeds, etc. However, for most resets, and not performance mods, we simply disconnected the battery and let it sit, much like discharging the BIOS on your desktop computer. Once it was totally dead, then powered back up, it begins re-learning, sometimes based on your driving habits.

If you replaced with the same engine and everything, sensor wise, is reconnected, I would think that you would be good to go. With our engine swaps, we typically got the ECU as well with the donor engine, so it was programmed for the same fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, etc.

However, since you have already replaced the engine, the battery and ECU should have already been reset (unless you kept it powered for the engine swap time, which we did in under a day, typically). If you had it powered down for a length of time, I don't think an additional reset will make a difference and you probably will need a factory flash.

Sometimes. Depending on the make/model. I built Nissan 240 drift cars for my 3 sons while in high school and early college and, at the time, had programming tools to re-program air/fuel maps, shift speeds, etc. However, for most resets, and not performance mods, we simply disconnected the battery and let it sit, much like discharging the BIOS on your desktop computer. Once it was totally dead, then powered back up, it begins re-learning, sometimes based on your driving habits.

If you replaced with the same engine and everything, sensor wise, is reconnected, I would think that you would be good to go. With our engine swaps, we typically got the ECU as well with the donor engine, so it was programmed for the same fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, etc.

However, since you have already replaced the engine, the battery and ECU should have already been reset (unless you kept it powered for the engine swap time, which we did in under a day, typically). If you had it powered down for a length of time, I don't think an additional reset will make a difference and you probably will need a factory flash.

Thanks, I'll pass this on to him. I wasn't involved with it. I'm a computer guy and I barely know anything about cars.

He's got the old ECM and the one that came with the "new" motor. Apparently the new motor is a bit bigger than the old one.
Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom