• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FL Gulf Pier Fishing Rig

chindog

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
I'm going to be spending a week in Carrebelle, FL on the gulf coast. There is a fishing pier at the campground that goes 250' out into the gulf. I've never fished salt water (except for guided tours on vessels). Since I'm there for a week, and there isn't much else to do around there, I'd like to see if I can catch anything. But, I don't have a rod and reel with me. My gear is all fresh water anyway. So, I need to buy a rod and reel, but not quite sure what I need. Budget is about $100ish for the combo. It looks like the fish that are around that area and are in season include Sheepshead, pompano, black drum, mahi, flounder, and a few other species. Since I'm traveling, I can't order anything for shipment to me, so have to find a tackle shop. But my question is: What should I buy?

I was thinking a medium duty spinning reel, rod of about 8'. Monofiliment line of about 25 or 30#, and using live bait (shrimp, sand fleas or whatever the bait shop sells).

Am I being to optimistic on the size of fish I hope to catch? Should I maybe plan on getting a lighter rig?

image.jpg
If these ladies could talk!!

Any medium spinning rod (I like 7'6") and a 3000-4000 size reel is more than enough for any inshore fish you will encounter. You definitely don't main line that heavy either. I run 20-30 lb braid (30 lb is 8 lb mono diameter) for abrasion and extra capacity then top it with a 20-30 lb fluorocarbon leader (24-36").

Main thing is to keep your equipment out of the water and give it a wash down after every use. It will last forever.

I would go in Walmart and buy one of them catfish rod and reel combo.usually around 50 bucks and leave it when you leave it’s gonna rust up anyway.

Back
Top Bottom