• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fixing a student’s 16” AR carbine

Isn’t BCM offering there own version of the VLTOR A5 now or is it another manufacturer?

Yes, BCM has an “A5” receiver extension (buffer tube) that is the same as/compatible with the Vltor A5 system, but they don’t have their own buffer; they use the Vltor A5 buffers. The BCM “A5” receiver extension is called the Intermediate buffer System. SOLGW and FCD also have A5-compatible receiver extensions, made by SOLGW.

Yes. Replacing the cheapo complete upper with a bcm complete upper would have fixed all of those issues.

Please re-read my post. I specifically said "BCM lower". I said nothing about the upper.

And, as far as I know, we don't know who made the upper, or even it it's a Frankengun. We only know for sure it's an Anderson lower.

I don't doubt that BCM makes quality parts and rifles, I have some of their components in some of my builds. However, I think it's a bit misleading to jump on the manufacturer of the lower receiver because of problems with the upper receiver build. The lower was possibly purchased as a stripped lower and then built - Anderson can't control that.

And yes, I have some Anderson lower receivers that were purchased as stripped receivers and built, so perhaps I'm biased. But all of mine work just fine.

To clarify, my issue was that it would sometimes fail to eject when I used .223 ammo. Never a problem with 5.56 ammo.

Please re-read my post. I specifically said "BCM lower". I said nothing about the upper.

And, as far as I know, we don't know who made the upper, or even it it's a Frankengun. We only know for sure it's an Anderson lower.

I don't doubt that BCM makes quality parts and rifles, I have some of their components in some of my builds. However, I think it's a bit misleading to jump on the manufacturer of the lower receiver because of problems with the upper receiver build. The lower was possibly purchased as a stripped lower and then built - Anderson can't control that.

And yes, I have some Anderson lower receivers that were purchased as stripped receivers and built, so perhaps I'm biased. But all of mine work just fine.
Enjoy your Anderson, sir.

There were issues with the Anderson-assembled lower, as well.

I’ve used some like these before. You’re supposed to cut so that it can slip over the barrel extension pin correct?

No, I’m not actually shimming the barrel. I was shimming the rail. The shims go in between the front of the shoulder on the collar of the barrel extension (the other side of the shoulder is against the upper receiver extension) and the inside of the barrel nut. So, I’m actually shimming the barrel nut and not the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom