• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fishing line

Think about using braided line. Look at the power pro in 5lb. It's extremely thin for long casts and is also very sensitive because there is zero stretch. The only thing is that you will need to learn a good knot to attach a fluorocarbon leader. A Double Uni works, but it's a bad idea to cast it throught eyelets because it will weaken from hitting them. I use an FG (Fine Grip) knot. It does not weaken and is actually the strogest know tested for this use. There's a little more to tying it than the Uni, but it's worth it.

You can also use a heavier braid and still have a very small diameter. I think 12lb braid is about the same as 4lb mono. Go from fishing for bream and trout with a 4lb leader to large mouth with a 10 or 12lb leader in just a couple of minutes.
No real need for braid. No such thing as a long cast with all the trees around this pond. He told me there were some big bass in it but biggest Ive hooked maybe went 1.5 lbs. Small bass and bluegill is all I catch but its a blast to feel the tug.

When they came out with Fluorocarbon line years ago, I love it. No memory and no stretch. Setting a hook with out stretch, is a big plus and it takes a beating..

Back
Top Bottom