• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

fishing "kits"

Or the people we have to shoot for trying to steal our food. I have always said the zombie apocalypse is real, it's just that instead of the living dead, the zombies are the soon to be dead because they cannot feed themselves and will come try to steal from those of us who can and will get put out of their misery for their efforts.

hell they are doing it now, but the law are a zombie loving bunch at the moment.

oh i know what they are doing, and they are still taking the same amount of gear but in a altoids can or medicine
bottle. i just think its funny that folks concentrate more on how small they
can make their kits rather than longevity and practicality. its very clear they really arent using their heads.
For many these kits aren't designed for a post apocolyptic hellscape, but possibly getting lost while hiking or camping. If you've ever hung out with hardcore hikers, you'll find out that ounces and square inches are of utmost importance. They would simply be using these kits in a rare emergency, and likely not for too many days. Size and weight matters greatly to serious hikers.

For many these kits aren't designed for a post apocolyptic hellscape, but possibly getting lost while hiking or camping. If you've ever hung out with hardcore hikers, you'll find out that ounces and square inches are of utmost importance. They would simply be using these kits in a rare emergency, and likely not for too many days. Size and weight matters greatly to serious hikers.

i know the type very well. my friends cut their toothbrushes in half, cup handles off their cups,
leave their tent stakes at home and use sticks found, i know these folks real well. i grew up playing on the APP trail back home too.
thing is, 99% of the videos you see and people you hear talking about this are not refering to hiking
they are talking about SHTF moments, BOB's, things like that. yet many hikers around the world are found dead due to starvation or the elements every yr after being lost. then again hikers are a very, very small part of the people
im talking about here. even then hikers EXPECT rescue in but a few days lol. roll those dice.
very few hikers actually try to forage their food along the way.
for the most part, hikers are a ill prepared bunch for real survival. i'll take 2 bushcrafters over 5 hikers anyday.
but thats just me.

Idk why people obsess over eating in a survival situation. These survival shows always make it like "OMG we havent eaten since 9AM, we absolutely have to go kill a boar with our bare hands" Meanwhile kids are fasting for 30 days on youtube just to get views.

You need water to live, you can survive a pretty long time without food.... a couple MRE peanut butter packs would keep you alive for months if you really had to survive. You could also graze and probably stumble across a varmint in that time. My 2-4 week bugout plan doesnt involve too much thought about eating. I'm definitely not carrying a fishing pole. Stay warm, stay hydrated, that's what will kill you, not the absence of protein. Most of us need to work on our beach body anyways.

Idk why people obsess over eating in a survival situation. These survival shows always make it like "OMG we havent eaten since 9AM, we absolutely have to go kill a boar with our bare hands" Meanwhile kids are fasting for 30 days on youtube just to get views.

You need water to live, you can survive a pretty long time without food.... a couple MRE peanut butter packs would keep you alive for months if you really had to survive. You could also graze and probably stumble across a varmint in that time. My 2-4 week bugout plan doesnt involve too much thought about eating. I'm definitely not carrying a fishing pole. Stay warm, stay hydrated, that's what will kill you, not the absence of protein. Most of us need to work on our beach body anyways.

i agree, BUT, the mass majority cant mentally go w/o eating for very long.
it strives fear in their minds and panic sets in. then you have problems with that person
and not knowing what they might try to pull. now, being that person, the fear, the panic, the unknown can do and cause everything including them killing and getting killed. food or the lack there of is a real motavator bro.
it also has a real calming effect lol.
fishing rods are very packable these days. some companies specialize in them. i have a diawa
that packs down to the size of a KJV Bible in case even. grazing isnt a option for most as they dont
know whats what. something i too am working on as well. the psychological effects about food on all side
can make or break a person, a family, a group. or even if its one in the group, the whole group can suffer from it.
things dont have to invole you to get you involved if you know what i mean.

I have my hook and line with me all the time. I just have problems finding bait for the hook.
9E624247-F7EF-4605-9F3B-4F3B1D8F8641.jpeg

yeah but damn, ask gilligan how long it took his to get rescued though. lol
but seriously though, you can get a solid plano thats 4x the size of that damn
can and extend your survival chances 10 fold, and still have it very packable.
people even put these kits in their BOB too lol. it drives me nuts. its their fantacy
world i guess. they rather try to has a lil bit of something for every occasion.
me i rather be preped well for a hand full of situations that are most likely.
LOL, good point. I actually looked up "lost in the woods" stories when I was refreshing my pack this year. One lady died after 26 days but apparently just really didn't know what she was doing:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...palachian-trail-survived-26-days-before-dying

The other stories I found boiled down to some pretty simple items that would have helped a ton. Just a lighter, whistle, poncho, or etc would have helped search teams find them quicker.

Also, when I was refreshing the pack, I was shocked how many BOB lists (posted on ODT) didn't include a compass. IMO, you need a decent compass, not a button compass you could fit in an altoid tin.

Back
Top Bottom