Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
here is one i dont get........
i watch youtube a lot and often see these folks building their
"fishing kits".
it always amazes me to see how small they try to make these
cute lil fishing kits. kits in a medicine bottle, altoids can, and so on.
im always taken back on how stupid some of these folks really are.
why the small kit?
if shtf does happen food will eventually be hard to come by. so im
relying heavy on fishing to be a big part but not limited to my food
collecting. water and fish are to easy to come by.
fishing itself is rather easy to do as well, at least to aquire food anyways.
in relying so heavy on fishing and taking advantage of lakes, ponds, streams,
rivers EVERYWHERE, i pack a beefed up kit. i dont want to take my
survival chances on a damn altoid box fishing kit.
plano makes several size boxes that are very packable and can carry
10x what a altoid can can and several better quality rod companies
make perfect packable rods as well. so yeah, knowing the above i just
dont get the altiod or medicine bottle fishing kits.
i guess the idea is to make the kit cute and small so it fits in your sock
but actually being able to depend on those kits in Real Life as a means
for true survival for any length of time....... your gonna die.
anybody else notice this mentality too and wonder WTF?

It's because they all dream of sneaking through the woods and living off the land.

Also they get caught up on how light they can get everything. It can be a slippery slope when focusing on weight... before you know it your counting grams and spending top dollar for titanium everything else.

Real life fishing can suck if that's all you'll have to eat, even with standard gear, trying to do it with a tiny kit and expecting to live off the land with it is delusional.

More likely to catch minnows to swallow whole than anything worthwhile with a tiny kit. Better off having gear for a trot line.

It depends what the purpose is. If it's just a kit to survive if you get lost in the woods, I don't think it needs to be much. You just have to make it until a search party finds you.

I do think the altoid tin kits are too small though. It doesn't take up much space/weight to pack a better kit.

It depends what the purpose is. If it's just a kit to survive if you get lost in the woods, I don't think it needs to be much. You just have to make it until a search party finds you.

I do think the altoid tin kits are too small though. It doesn't take up much space/weight to pack a better kit.

yeah but damn, ask gilligan how long it took his to get rescued though. lol
but seriously though, you can get a solid plano thats 4x the size of that damn
can and extend your survival chances 10 fold, and still have it very packable.
people even put these kits in their BOB too lol. it drives me nuts. its their fantacy
world i guess. they rather try to has a lil bit of something for every occasion.
me i rather be preped well for a hand full of situations that are most likely.

This..... a WWII fishing survival kit - life raft/pilot. Based on the hooks, lure and spear tip it was likely meant for Pacific island survival...
upload_2021-6-30_3-10-1.png

BTW. That red piece of wood with weight, line and hook on it? It's the old time version of a plastic bobber.....

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-30_3-10-1.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-30_3-10-1.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 16
yeah but damn, ask gilligan how long it took his to get rescued though. lol
but seriously though, you can get a solid plano thats 4x the size of that damn
can and extend your survival chances 10 fold, and still have it very packable.
people even put these kits in their BOB too lol. it drives me nuts. its their fantacy
world i guess. they rather try to has a lil bit of something for every occasion.
me i rather be preped well for a hand full of situations that are most likely.

I don't know about you, but long term that fishing kit means nothing to me. I will be constructing a weir. **** watching a line for a bite....I got better things to do

I don't know about you, but long term that fishing kit means nothing to me. I will be constructing a weir. **** watching a line for a bite....I got better things to do
Bears like to "fish" at weir-like spots. Places where the water is fast and not deep....they just stand on the rocks and paw-swat them out of the water to land where they can go gnaw them...

I'm always amazed at the people who have never hunted who say "I'll hunt stuff to live off". They've most probably also never fished, but will pack their altoid container of fishing gear to live off the fish they catch. I've actually heard people say the hunting thing, and thought good, I'm bored with the conversation going on, lets talk guns, "What guns you got?". "oh, I don't own any guns." FFS.

Back
Top Bottom