• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fishing in Athens

RevCov

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
264   1
Reaction score
Hi all - any advice on where to fish in Athens? I want to take my youngest boy out fishing so somewhere fairly accessible is preferred. I had some advice to try Lake Chapman at Sandy Creek Park and wanted to see what other suggestions ODT has.

Thanks!

Back in the 80s I lived in a subdivision that backed up to Sandy Creek park. I fished that lake every Saturday morning and never caught a thing. Couple guys at work back then swore by it but they had boats and I was fishing from the bank. I really enjoyed it just never caught anything. Even tried chicken livers for catfish off the fishing pier one evening and nothing. Maybe I wasn’t holding my mouth right idk. Never caught one fish there. Have heard good things about Bear Creek reservoir but never been there.

Lake Chapman is good for what you want to do.. Opens back up tomorrow. Good access. If he gets bored, other stuff to do. There's a new foot bridge over the upper end that might open up some new fishing. They have canoe rentals if you want to do that, but I don't if that part if going to be up and running any time soon.

Bear Creek has limited bank fishing access - like 75 yards.

If you want him to catch some fish so the gets the taste for it, Crowe's Lake outside Jefferson is a sure thing. It's a pay lake heavily stocked with catfish. Downside is you pay by the lb. live weight for all fish you catch (no C&R) and it can get spendy, especially if he wants to keep on fishing. Good facilities, good access.

Dudley Park has good access to the river. Not going to catch a world's record but he should be able to get in some bream. Good facilities.

Lake Herrick at UGA intramural fields is a possibility. It was basically rebuilt a few years ago, and I haven't fished it since then. It gets hammered but you should be able to pull out some fish, and it has some great access.

Bell's Lake in Watkinsville is a pay lake. I've never fished it seriously, but must have some fish because there usually are some people fishing there. I've always caught a few fish. Really good access. You can watch the cows.

Also not too far away is Charlie Elliot PFA at Social Circle. There are a couple of kid's lakes that are heavily stocked, and about a dozen other lakes of various sizes. Also gun range, so if you want to blend that in, it's doable.

Back
Top Bottom