• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

fish tanks-freshwater

The rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon.

thats a good for starting a tank so its not overloaded to fast. but its really the amount of fish your filter/tank can handle. if you go by the one inch per gallon, that means you can only have like 10 neon tetras, or 10 guppies in a 10 gallon forever lol.

ive always gone by size, and where the particular fish likes to hang out. dont overload the bottom of the tank, and dont overload the middle/top swimming areas. like if you have cory cats/loaches, you can also add some type of swimmers like tetras. they hang out in different areas of the tank.

just get a filter thats at least one size larger than the tank your putting it on and should be good to go to put almost anything that can live in it lol. good flow and water changes are key. i run a fluval 30 and a bubbler (for water flow, not oxygen like most people believe they do) on my 20 Long. a 20 filter on my 10 guppy/cory tank, and just a tiny one on my GFs 5.5 because thats her betta tank lol. and her betta lives with 3 dwarf cory cats, bumblebee goby and 2 mystery snails lol.

I have 3...

same if you include the GFs lol. which i do. she does most of the maintenance, but i tell her when and how lol. but i let her stock "hers" with whatever she wants lol.

Ghost shrimp can get too big for most community fish to eat, most of my adult shrimp were at least an inch long.
got it. i added a few because they are evidently better at cleaning than the plecos

but hadnt seen any in a day which i thought was strange. just checked againa nd they are all inside the little castle in my tank lol

got it. i added a few because they are evidently better at cleaning than the plecos

but hadnt seen any in a day which i thought was strange. just checked againa nd they are all inside the little castle in my tank lol
Like most living things you add to the tank they have to adapt to a new environment.
My ghost shrimp were never shy once they got acclimated to the tank and they did a very nice job of keeping the tank clean. I did regular water changes but my tank was located in direct sunlight- good for my live plants but also encouraged algae growth.
I used the shrimp, a few little Otocinclus cats and a couple of Ramshorn snails to keep it in check.

Can I ask where you got the shrimp?

Like most living things you add to the tank they have to adapt to a new environment.
My ghost shrimp were never shy once they got acclimated to the tank and they did a very nice job of keeping the tank clean. I did regular water changes but my tank was located in direct sunlight- good for my live plants but also encouraged algae growth.
I used the shrimp, a few little Otocinclus cats and a couple of Ramshorn snails to keep it in check.

Can I ask where you got the shrimp?
petco, the aquiarium and everything has come from petco thus far so i wasnt too worried about contamination

still, i now have a 2 liter soda bottle ive washed out i will be using as my quarantine tank (24-48 hours) for new arrivals before adding to the main tank. i got 2 snails in there also but no idea where they went either lol, probably inside the castle with the pleco and shrimp

petco, the aquiarium and everything has come from petco thus far so i wasnt too worried about contamination

still, i now have a 2 liter soda bottle ive washed out i will be using as my quarantine tank (24-48 hours) for new arrivals before adding to the main tank. i got 2 snails in there also but no idea where they went either lol, probably inside the castle with the pleco and shrimp

I also never quarantined new fresh water fish. I never had a problem, but it's not a bad idea....

I never worried about quarantine freshwater fish... Salt water is a different story

yeah i dont bother quarantining with my 20 gallon. i only buy good looking healthy fish, but if they do introduce something and i need to med its cheap enough. if i had a 55g or bigger i would for sure have a small 10gallon to quarantine and medicate all new fish. the type/amount of fish you would tend to keep in bigger tanks and the medication/water for the daily water changes just get way to expensive/time consuming at that point. well at least for me haha.

Back
Top Bottom