• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time reloader

kernriverarcher

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
Hi! I just started on my journey in reloading and feel pretty comfortable with all aspects except i cannot seem to find load data for my specific bullet/powder combo. I was wondering if any of you guys could help?

I'm reloading once fired brass for my 9mm glock 26.

bullet: hornady 9mm .355 diameter 124 grain XTP (jacketed hollow points)
powder: hodgdon titegroup
primer: CCI no. 500 small pistol primers

When I look on hodgdon's website load data, the only 9mm they have is a different bullet of .356 diameter... And Hornady's reloading manuel is $20, and i cant bring myself to spend another $20 as ive been spending too much as it is on supplies due to price gouging that has been going on because of covid.

Thank you all ahead of time for any assistance you may provide.

Hi! I just started on my journey in reloading and feel pretty comfortable with all aspects except i cannot seem to find load data for my specific bullet/powder combo. I was wondering if any of you guys could help?

When I look on hodgdon's website load data, the only 9mm they have is a different bullet of .356 diameter... And Hornady's reloading manuel is $20, and i cant bring myself to spend another $20 as ive been spending too much as it is on supplies due to price gouging that has been going on because of covid.

Welcome aboard.

it gives data for a berry's plated bullet. start at the min and work up.

my speer #14 manual lists 4-4.4gr titegroup for a 124 gold dot. you may want to get the hornady manual IF you reload mainly hornady bullets. I have never had a problem starting at the MIN and working up w/9mm. plated bullets are kinda in between bare lead and fmj/jhp loads.

Please note that this info is based on my experience and I do not own any glocks (but I do shoot a variety of 9mm pistols and carbines).
I haven't had a problem with .355 vs.356 bullets (I use them interchangeably) for normal use (I'm not looking for competition type results).
I've found that as long as you are using jacketed bullets (vs lead or plated bullets) its safe to use the starting loads for jacketed bullets on the powder manufacturer's website.
I'd try loading a few at the starting load for the type and weight of your bullet and see if your gun cycles properly.
If it doesn't cycle you might want to increase the charge a bit but I wouldn't go to max charge until you have someone who is comfortable looking at the results (things like flattened primers).
Also if you are trying to save costs and shoot enough to stay comfortable with your skills consider target or training bullets like fmj or lead as they are usually cheaper.

Please note that this info is based on my experience and I do not own any glocks (but I do shoot a variety of 9mm pistols and carbines).
I haven't had a problem with .355 vs.356 bullets (I use them interchangeably) for normal use (I'm not looking for competition type results).
I've found that as long as you are using jacketed bullets (vs lead or plated bullets) its safe to use the starting loads for jacketed bullets on the powder manufacturer's website.
I'd try loading a few at the starting load for the type and weight of your bullet and see if your gun cycles properly.
If it doesn't cycle you might want to increase the charge a bit but I wouldn't go to max charge until you have someone who is comfortable looking at the results (things like flattened primers).
Also if you are trying to save costs and shoot enough to stay comfortable with your skills consider target or training bullets like fmj or lead as they are usually cheaper.

and really...get a chronograph if you get much deeper down the rabbit hole. then you know if **** is going to fast. speed is the best indicator of over pressure. sometimes the primers won't show signs till it is too late.

reloading manuals are never a bad investment either.

9mm 124.png

from 10th edition.

Back
Top Bottom