• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time deer hunter, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is whatever caliber you use buy good ammo for it. My cousin one time bought golden bear ammo for his .30-06 and shot a deer four times and never found it. It was damn fmj ammo don’t do that
Second this, make sure to buy, at minimum, a soft point cartridge. A Remington Core-Lokt is a good, relatively inexpensive round that has a good track record.

All I can say is whatever caliber you use buy good ammo for it. My cousin one time bought golden bear ammo for his .30-06 and shot a deer four times and never found it. It was damn fmj ammo don’t do that
You probably shouldn't say that. The use of non expanding bullets for deer hunting is illegal in most states.

I used to take a pee bottle with me to the stand then an old hunter explained to me that deer can't tell the difference between human urine or predator urine slowly bother. He was right i have killed several deer right after peeing from the stand.

On a side note I like ammo that releases all of it's energy into the target. I.E. varmit type bullets that pretty much explode into the target. They only need to penetrate like 3 inches to eviscerate a heart. For soft skinned deer anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom