Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Hard Workin’ Honky
139   0
Reaction score
DA639B5C-B8A9-42A0-996D-8C1A9A62E2F9.jpeg
3CFA088F-A4AA-46EB-940F-DE1AF9955BF4.jpeg
129896E8-394E-45E6-B333-0D2473461E62.jpeg
0DB466BC-CB90-420D-B413-9C798D65527E.jpeg
Finally got off my butt to try my hand at hide on taxidermy. I have done plenty of european mounts and some wall hanger tanned hides but Ive always been interested at trying hide on taxidermy. Mainly because I am an extreme sportsman. I hunt, trap and fish. That being said I have freezers full of critters that Im tired of paying hefty prices to have mounted. I trapped this raccoon as my first attempt. Figured I would try just a simple shoulder style mount at first. Its far from perfect as there was some challenges but heck I think I did ok for a first time. I still have to let it finish drying then touch up around the eyes, nose and mouth with paint. The pins are to keep the hide in place while it dries so Im not trying to go for the Hellraiser pinhead look :becky: after I finish up with the mount I will add some sort of habitat like artificial branches/leaves to make it look more realistic like the raccoon is looking out from a tree.

Looks good :thumb:
Kudos for learning a dying art don’t see many young people anymore giving it a go. I remember being a teenager and trying to do a few squirrels with a buddy....It didn’t turn out well but hey we had fun

Thanks guys. Im surprised it turned out even halfway decent. When I skinned the raccoon out I didn’t skin far enough back. When I got the form I had to cut about 2” off of it so I could wrap the hide under the bottom. I mustve fleshed a little too thin on the left eye of the raccoon. ( right eye if you are facing the raccoon ). because a small bit of the black skin on the corner of the eye came off. I will have to touch it up with paint. Also I didn’t have enough lip skin split to tuck in the mouth slot so I had to super glue the lips together. I will have to touch up paint them as well.

View attachment 2773865 View attachment 2773857 View attachment 2773859 View attachment 2773860 Finally got off my butt to try my hand at hide on taxidermy. I have done plenty of european mounts and some wall hanger tanned hides but Ive always been interested at trying hide on taxidermy. Mainly because I am an extreme sportsman. I hunt, trap and fish. That being said I have freezers full of critters that Im tired of paying hefty prices to have mounted. I trapped this raccoon as my first attempt. Figured I would try just a simple shoulder style mount at first. Its far from perfect as there was some challenges but heck I think I did ok for a first time. I still have to let it finish drying then touch up around the eyes, nose and mouth with paint. The pins are to keep the hide in place while it dries so Im not trying to go for the Hellraiser pinhead look :becky: after I finish up with the mount I will add some sort of habitat like artificial branches/leaves to make it look more realistic like the raccoon is looking out from a tree.
Good on you/

Back
Top Bottom