• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First squib load!

Someone else may have already mentioned:: always visually check the powder after loading the round in your tray. When you are done putting the powder in the cases, compare the levels in the group to each other. There will be some difference between mixed brass, but you will learn to pick out a significantly different powder amount. I do not think you would not notice a 3 grain or more difference—in the 223.

I have had a number of squibs in pistol loads from my progressive while loading very light loads in the 9mm.

Someone else may have already mentioned:: always visually check the powder after loading the round in your tray. When you are done putting the powder in the cases, compare the levels in the group to each other. There will be some difference between mixed brass, but you will learn to pick out a significantly different powder amount. I do not think you would not notice a 3 grain or more difference—in the 223.

I have had a number of squibs in pistol loads from my progressive while loading very light loads in the 9mm.

I definitely will take all these tips from experience. Having a balance beam definitely helps a bunch for verifying a digital scale or a powder dropper.

My experience with .223 with varget and Cfe 223 is that the powder should be right around the shoulder for a medium load. It’s a quick visual reference for these two powders at least. It may not be dead on (by visual inspections) but it’s close enough to know it’s not a squib and it’s not a compressed over charged load.

Back
Top Bottom