• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First squib load!

Check against a balance beam. I did have to send a rcbs beam back though. I noticed it was about .2 gr off from my rcbs electronic scale at around 25gr, it would get more off the more grains, 59gr...it would be about .5gr off. I sent it back, the replacement scale they sent doesnt do this but is still about .2gr off from my rcbs electronic.

I do like the lee dippers, I've sanded some down to get me just under where I need to be a several of my loads...then trickle the rest.

Check against a balance beam. I did have to send a rcbs beam back though. I noticed it was about .2 gr off from my rcbs electronic scale at around 25gr, it would get more off the more grains, 59gr...it would be about .5gr off. I sent it back, the replacement scale they sent doesnt do this but is still about .2gr off from my rcbs electronic.

I do like the lee dippers, I've sanded some down to get me just under where I need to be a several of my loads...then trickle the rest.

Well I’ll have 3 scales, including a balance beam to check and RE-check!!!! Reloading is definitely a constant learning process. Things like you mentioned you only learn from experience.

You should be able to use a wooden dow rod from Home Depot and hammer it back out really easy. I've learned from reloading to keep one in my range bag. Loading 9 mm I've had squib loads a few times. I don't let anybody else shoot my loaded ammo and don't go crazy with rapid fire.

You should be able to use a wooden dow rod from Home Depot and hammer it back out really easy. I've learned from reloading to keep one in my range bag. Loading 9 mm I've had squib loads a few times. I don't let anybody else shoot my loaded ammo and don't go crazy with rapid fire.

To be safe, I have it at a gunsmith. It’s a first for me and I’ve learned not to play mechanic or gunsmith lol! I’ve destroyed enough things over the years to learn those expensive lessons!!

2949ee4bab44d04532cc66bc1fb45873.jpg

Electronics work just fine.

Don’t be afraid of electronics.

Scale in the front measures to 0.01 grains which allows me to measure to the kernel of powder. Makes 1000+ yard ammo weekly.

Also have mechanical back ups of everything electric or electronic I own. Be it scales or tools, or what have you. But it’s just a back up.

I shoot anywhere from 5000-10000 rounds of pistol ammo a year, and several thousand more rifle round. Without electronics it would be doable, but it would for sure take longer.

Sounds like your just starting. I think the spot you’re in and what your feeling is very normal. We’ve all be there. No matter how careful I am I still get squib rounds. We’re human. We get tired. We’re distracted, even we think we aren’t.

Go to the hardware store and get wooden dowel rods to match all your barrels ID’s. Take your calipers with to measure the dowels if it makes it easier. The dowels combined with a light tap from a hammer will pop those rounds right out. No lost time or money at the gunsmith.

2949ee4bab44d04532cc66bc1fb45873.jpg

Electronics work just fine.

Don’t be afraid of electronics.

Scale in the front measures to 0.01 grains which allows me to measure to the kernel of powder. Makes 1000+ yard ammo weekly.

Also have mechanical back ups of everything electric or electronic I own. Be it scales or tools, or what have you. But it’s just a back up.

I shoot anywhere from 5000-10000 rounds of pistol ammo a year, and several thousand more rifle round. Without electronics it would be doable, but it would for sure take longer.

Sounds like your just starting. I think the spot you’re in and what your feeling is very normal. We’ve all be there. No matter how careful I am I still get squib rounds. We’re human. We get tired. We’re distracted, even we think we aren’t.

Go to the hardware store and get wooden dowel rods to match all your barrels ID’s. Take your calipers with to measure the dowels if it makes it easier. The dowels combined with a light tap from a hammer will pop those rounds right out. No lost time or money at the gunsmith.
yep those "electronics sure are great....as long as you have electricity, or a battery....

I have been loading with a small arsenal electronic scale. In the middle of loading test rounds it started freaking out when the scale was empty. It would freak out then go back to zero. I double checked a couple cases and they were spot on. Apparently as I loaded the last 20 test rounds, the scale was reading incorrectly. After I had the squib load I changed the batteries and the scale still malfunctioned reading 5gr light on occasion. So I purchased a balance beam scale, another small electronic scale and an rcbs charge master 1500. Now I’ll check my powder charges old school style!!!! Lesson learned!! I am bringing my rifle in to a shop to remove the stuck bullet. I’m leaving that to the professionals lol!
View attachment 3226612
At least you caught it before firing another round.

Back
Top Bottom