• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Rivian R1T truck hits the road....1st truck rolls off the assembly line

That's not a pickup truck. It's a never-off-road, off-road SUV with some room for wife and kiddies and room in the back to bring back that bassinette and changing station from Babies-R-Us.... The only time it would ever see off-road is when wifey misses the driveway when backing out...
That's what 99% of the trucks you see on the road are today. Never see dirt or a tool in the bed. Maybe a couple bails of pine straw to throw around the mailbox is the most work they ever get. I drove a chevy 2021 for a few months this year. It had something (I think) like an 8 speed transmission. It was always changing gears. Turns off at every red light. If you aren't ready for it and have to cross traffic you can feel the hesitation in it. I put a gang box in it full of tools, which barely fit, and felt the loss of power as well as saw the reduced gas mileage. It was a real POS. They make trucks for the image not for the function.

THAT is NOT a truck. This is a truck. My truck, (pictured here), will take me anywhere I want to go..No matter if it’s by way or asphalt, concrete, sand, dirt, mud or 12” deep water. Let’s hook a 7,500 lb. camper behind that and see how far It gets before it has to be hooked up on life support charger.

Attachments

• 189161A3-75EB-41CE-924B-E4E7EC2C4246.jpeg
    189161A3-75EB-41CE-924B-E4E7EC2C4246.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 7
THAT is NOT a truck. This is a truck. My truck, (pictured here), will take me anywhere I want to go..No matter if it’s by way or asphalt, concrete, sand, dirt, mud or 12” deep water. Let’s hook a 7,500 lb. camper behind that and see how far It gets before it has to be hooked up on life support charger.
I just sold my '05 a few months back with 435,000 mi on it. My buddy who got it is still driving it the only reason I got rid of it is because I wanted a 7 and 1/2 to a 12 model.

I having trouble with how small the ponts are on the site, can some one direct me on how to make them bigger? Thanks

I use an ax handle, but same idea.

I got in the repair business in 1986, the manufacturers shared info freely until computerization became more prevalent and complicated. They realized how much of the repair market they were losing out on and losing to us independents, so instead of fixing their broke inherently corrupt system, they tried to lock us out of repair info. That didnt work as the feds got involved and ruled they must share info at some point past new model years, so now they use other means to make it financially unfeasible for independents to access certain technology.

I can flash and re-learn all makes and models of cars computers, most domestic and Japanese builds cost $25-$45 per vehicle, sometimes its that price for 3 days of access. BMW, and most Europeans cost a grand or more per year. If you dont do a bunch of them you lose money. Most diagnostic info systems, Mitchell All-Data ets..., are at least several hundred a month for access. Now the car companies are limiting what is released so those companies have less and less to offer us. We are fighting it, but its a slow process.

I see the day in the not too distant future where it will just be too expensive for the independent to do much more than the most basic serve to a vehicle. The average owner will be completely unable as well.

I just sold my '05 a few months back with 435,000 mi on it. My buddy who got it is still driving it the only reason I got rid of it is because I wanted a 7 and 1/2 to a 12 model.

I got 238,000 on this one. Runs great, EVERYTHING works, including the A C, uses no oil between oil changes (every 8000 miles) I know many go 10,000 but I figure oil is cheap compaired to an engine rebuild. I run Shell Rotella T-6 full syntheti. I hope I can get as many miles on mine as you did on your 05. Mine is an 01. Did you have any issues with the transmission? I have heard the Allison is bullet proof. No problems with it so far. I run TranSynd in it. They are great trucks and I love the body style.

So was it $80K or $90K ? This reminds me of back when Al Gore asked the big 3 Detroit comapnies to come up with an electric vehicle. So GM retrofitted a Saturn with electric motor and a bunch of bulky heavy batteries. Super Green Gore loved it. Then they told everyone the MSRP would be just under $60K.

Que up the boomers and rednecks that hate change and progress ;)
"if it aint got a V8 with mudders and can pull hell outta the ground it aint a truck (spits baccer)"
I'm not a Boomer but I strongly dislike electric and hybrid vehicles. If you insist on going green with your daily driver it's a trade off. Inconvenience would be the first thing that comes to mind as in charging stations and where to find them. And I know for a fact the maintenance costs are higher. As for the green factor that's a myth. There's more pollution in producing and charging those vehicles than driving our old non hybrid dumb cars.
I REALLY think this cou try should produce more vehicles with diesel and tubo diesel options. TDI VWs are known to get well over 4O MPG. And diesle engines today run a lot cleaner than the older models. Hell, as far as that goes why not CNG? Every Hpuston Co School bus now runs on CNG.

I got 238,000 on this one. Runs great, EVERYTHING works, including the A C, uses no oil between oil changes (every 8000 miles) I know many go 10,000 but I figure oil is cheap compaired to an engine rebuild. I run Shell Rotella T-6 full syntheti. I hope I can get as many miles on mine as you did on your 05. Mine is an 01. Did you have any issues with the transmission? I have heard the Allison is bullet proof. No problems with it so far. I run TranSynd in it. They are great trucks and I love the body style.
no real trans trouble. it did run hot on me once. i changed both filters and all but one gallon of the fluid and never had any other problems.
i rebuilt the injectors myself around 300k,put a water pump on it,i fuel pressure regulator,and rebuilt the filter housing.
i changed my oil when it hit 0% and did 2 gallons of delvac and half gallon of lucas. had a programmer on it set on 3 and i got 17 to 22 mpg and it would light the tires like it was nothing. on a damp road anything under 75mph it would light them up as well.
i miss it,i sold it with plans of getting a 7 1/2 to 12 (love the body style) and then we got covid used pricing. so i am waiting to replace it unless the right deal comes along.
i had a 01 dually i picked up back when obamer shot diesel fuel prices thru the roof. it was a great truck. they want 14k for it and i talked them down to 11k on the phone,went to Alabama and drove it home for 8900 with a full tank of fuel. it had 175k on it,i ran it up to just shy of 300k with no problems other than a water pump and a belt. then sold it for 9500.
love the duramax..

Back
Top Bottom