• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First brisket is on the smoker...

OK, so.......
Let it rest for 40 minutes or so sliced and served.
I guess I should start out with this. My 16 year old is a VERY picky eater. Even worse than I was at his age. I can still hear my frustrated mother's voice from back when expressing her aggravation with my diet ... "One day you're going to have a son that will be just like you. You'll see...." Well she was wrong. He's worse. :lol:

When the plates hit the table and he dug in, after a few noises, grunts and moans that I wasn't sure were in approval... he exclaimed... "OK, now THIS is good food. And I don't say that ever!" :pound: A smart person would end the review right there. But nobody every accused me of that. :lol:

Some observations.
1) Needed a little less heat a little more sweet. I basically used Emeril's recipe for dry rub with very minor differences (didn't have onion powder, and used some Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning in addition to everything else just to finish off the last half tablespoon or so. I will adjust accordingly with more sugar, more garlic and onion powder next time.
2) I did not trim the brisket. I've read different opinions on that. The cap was pretty thick after cooking. I think next time I'm trimming it. I also cooked it fat up. Again, lots of different theories on that I guess.
3) For some reason, no distinguishable smoke ring. Not sure why as it was smoking good the entire time. :confused:
4) After wrapping, the bark really softened and I swear lightened. Not a big deal I guess but somewhat unexpected.

All in all I'm calling it a great success for two reasons as 1) wifey and son were very impressed :afro: and 2) I ain't scared of the next brisket! Have just enough left for brisket sammiches on hoagies tonight. :hungry:

Pictures are terrible (especially of the sliced) but since of y'all are breaking out in hives not seeing it. Here you go. :p

View attachment 2025873

View attachment 2025874
You all liked it that is the most important part! Trim some fat off but you definitely want a fat cap. How thick depends on cooking temp and time of cook that you will get a feel for. I am a fat up kind of guy because as the fat renders it bastes the meat and make for some moist goodness. Looks good man!

YI am a fat up kind of guy because as the fat renders it bastes the meat and make for some moist goodness. Looks good man!
That was my assumption as well but apparently people take their brisket smoking techniques more serious than their religion. We all have our priorities. ;)
Thanks. Low and slow makes most things hard to completely screw up. :becky:

You've inspired me. I too have an electric Masterbuilt smoker complete with the wireless remote. I've smoked a few butts and a turkey but haven't tried brisket yet. I'll be doing that soon.

You all liked it that is the most important part! Trim some fat off but you definitely want a fat cap. How thick depends on cooking temp and time of cook that you will get a feel for. I am a fat up kind of guy because as the fat renders it bastes the meat and make for some moist goodness. Looks good man!

Alright, you redeemed yourself buy adding pics. Not a bad looking brisket!

Less fat cap, more cowbell!
Wrap with butcher paper or you end up with roast beef.
Rookie mistakes, we’ll cut you some slack.

53EEB920-7B61-4725-9B58-3EE5F9BD7974.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom