• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First brisket is on the smoker...

Have some corned beef brisket in the fridge. I cooked it in the crock pot.
I'm thinking about some Ruben sandwiches for supper tonight.

Just got back with some rye bread and baby Swiss.
Locked my keys in the car, forgot my sauerkraut, but I got milk for the grand-baby and a twelve pack of beer.
I guess I should have made a list. SMH

Cooking brisket is an art. You can paint a great picture that everyone loves or a bad one that you want to bury. Low, slow and patience. Also if it comes out a little tough, wrap it in foil and put in in the oven a 225 for about an hour. Then let it set until it cools to about room temp. The rest in the foil will allow the steam from the meat to help tenderize it.

I had one that was a little tough and I slapped that baby in the crockpot with a little Merlot and that baby was off the charts.

I'm sure there are advantages to higher priced ones but this one holds constant temperature and smokes plenty. This thing doesn't budge from the 225 I'm cooking at. Not sure what else I could expect. :noidea: Might simply be a case of "You can't miss what you never had." ;)

I still drive a 94 chevy 2500, and the only thing I'm missing out on is a payment. lol

I rescued my smoker from being sold for scrap. It'll slow cook 100 hotdogs or 6 whole pork shoulders.
It runs on charcoal and gas. Mine will maintain 185 with just the gas.

I still drive a 94 chevy 2500, and the only thing I'm missing out on is a payment. lol

I rescued my smoker from being sold for scrap. It'll slow cook 100 hotdogs or 6 whole pork shoulders.
It runs on charcoal and gas. Mine will maintain 185 with just the gas.
Nice what kind of setup is it?

Just an inexpensive electric by Masterbuilt. I don't need a bunch of tending to the heat to help me mess it up. Just set it and pretty much forget it. I've had great result with the butts I've smoked so far but this as mentioned is my first go at brisket (actually any beef).

It was $20 from Kroger's. That's my price/risk tolerance point I guess. :lol: There's just three of us so should make for at least a couple meals.

I just wrapped it (3 hours in). Looks good enough to eat! :cool:

Sweet taters are in oven.....

Got one of the inexpensive Masterbuilts myself. On sale for $150 at Ace hardware 3 years ago. It has produced some of the best pulled pork and smoked chickens I've ever eaten, but still haven't tried brisket. I usually wrap the butts at 160-165. Did you temp before you wrapped?

I don’t know much, but I know one thing. Both turn out some mighty tasty bbq. That’s what I love about bbq cook it how you like it there are a million ways to do it.

. It's hard to find good BBQ unless it's cooking in someone's back yard. lol
I guess I'm lazy, so I go the slow and low. lol

Got one of the inexpensive Masterbuilts myself. On sale for $150 at Ace hardware 3 years ago. It has produced some of the best pulled pork and smoked chickens I've ever eaten, but still haven't tried brisket. I usually wrap the butts at 160-165. Did you temp before you wrapped?
I did not. Pulled it out a few minutes ago at 200 (Everybody is hungry and I'm impatient). It's resting.
I got mine on sale at BPS several years ago. I swear the thing was less than $100 but it's been a while. I could be 'misremembering'.

Back
Top Bottom