• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

first bow

Lost Mountain

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
14   0
Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting a bow but and it will probably be a cross bow after 20 plus years in the moving industry my shoulders are a bit tore up, So any suggestions on a first time bow/crossbow?

Don't get a cheapo crossbow, if you're going to get one for hunting go ahead and spend the money to get a good one. I have a Ten Point crossbow and it will literally put 2 arrows in the same hole at 20 yards and is accurate out to about 60 yards with me shooting it although I've seen other people shooting out to 100 yds. with theirs. Excaliber makes a really accurate one too. These days there are a lot of good bows on the market, Horton makes good ones too. The one I have has a cranking device built in to it that reduces draw weight to about five pounds, you can also buy a rope cocker that will reduce draw weight by about half, I have one of those too. I have a bad back and I can't pull mine without it, it's a 185 lb. bow. The rope cocker and the crank device makes for a much more accurate shot than pulling by hand too. Now if you want a compound bow, I love my Mathews Switchback and it's scary accurate also. Good luck and I hope this helps.:thumb:

Get ya a Hoyt Katera 50/60 lb. I'm only drawin 60lb and 29in and im shootin roughly about 300-305 with a 337 grain Gold Tip XT hunter arrow and 100 grain tip. So if you pulled 55lb and 29 in you would shoot roughy 290-295 ibo with same arrow, with 50lb pull it would drop to 280-285.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom