• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Bow?

djocon93

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Builder of Guns, Rider of Bikes, Waster of Ammo
127   0
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I have been thinking bout getting into archery a bit lately and looking at various compound bows on here and CL. I know my draw length is somewhere between 27 and 28" (plan on taking whatever bow I get to a proshop and having it set properly) But I don't know what draw weight I should be looking at, I'm 5'10" 190lbs and relatively strong but have no bow experience at all. What weight would you guys suggest? Any bow recommendations? Would prefer to be under $400-$500 for a bow, and the necessary accessories to start shooting.

Thanks!

I would imagine the selection of used bows here and on CL is probably not very large. I would suggest also checking the classifieds section on the ArcheryTalk forum. I would look for something 2-5 years old for your price range. Bows dont hold their value very well and you can find some great deals on bows that were $1000+ new. Its hard to make a brand or specific bow suggestion because it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Go to a shop somewhere and try out a few different brands and models before you just buy something. I bought my first bow off the internet because I liked my buddy's bow that was the same brand but different model. I hated that bow and got rid of it pretty quick. My next bow was a used one I got off archerytalk after shooting some at a shop and I still love shooting that bow 5 years later.

As far as draw weight, 70 pounds is the most popular option, but I dont recommend it. I can shoot my 70 lb bow just fine and I like that bow a lot, but I can't shoot it all day and its not necessary for anything you can hunt in GA. I've regretted not going with 60 lb limbs on that bow for a while. My other bow with 65 lb limbs is turned down to about 61-62 lbs and I enjoy shooting that weight a lot more than I enjoy 70.

If you are new to archery, start with a bow set to about 50 pounds, but can be adjusted up to 60 pounds. 50 is plenty of power to put an arrow through a deer long ways, a heart/lung shot is always a thru and thru.

At 50 pounds, you can practice more and get consistent, just like a firearm. Practice is what builds accuracy.

A heavier draw weight does shoot a bit flatter, but with multiple pin sights, it is not that big a deal.

As to a compound, I far prefer a wheel bow over a cam bow. In my experience, they shoot smoother and more consistent than the cam bows.

Carbon arrows are the only way to go, expensive but way better than anything else.

I have a bow tech icon set up for 28 inch draw. I got it this past spring and ended up buying another. I have a few Beamon carbon arrows to go with it at 400.00

It is a 70lb bow but I adjust down to 60

Attachments

• CCB30B81-89CE-47C2-B920-46F4A75B6ADE.jpeg
    CCB30B81-89CE-47C2-B920-46F4A75B6ADE.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 28
There are a lot of factors in fitting a bow to you. I strongly recommend you go to a good pro shop before you buy. A bow that almost fits can be worse than one that doesn't fit at all. Especially when you are first learning to shoot.

Thank you for all the advice guys! I'll probably go to a shop later today to try some bows and be fitted... any suggestions for a local shop? I'm in dahlonega. Heard good things about timber ghost...

Reactions: VME
Back
Top Bottom