• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm discharge in Gwinnett County

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 yards from a Public roadway, no mention of a house or structure

O.C.G.A. 16-11-103 (2010)
16-11-103. Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street

A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.
Raed
50 yards from a Public roadway, no mention of a house or structure

O.C.G.A. 16-11-103 (2010)
16-11-103. Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street

A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.
I read 16-11-103 , it includes arrows and air rifles , if I’m understanding it correctly, something short of a club or sword is the only thing lawful if your with in the 50 yards/150 feet rule. Is deer hunting ( legally ) unlawful if your with in the said 150 foot rule?

Other than in self defense of a person or property, what are the Regs concerning discharging a lawfully owned firearm on your property. In other words, say a pack of dogs/coyotes rabid Coon or fox comes in your yard. You live in the City limits of Lilburn in a residential Nieghborhood.?

assumption: said owner doesn’t own a suppressor

Do what needs to be done, turn out the lights and go out for a burger and a beer somewhere.

The compulsion to just "explain what happened" is what gets people in trouble, not the deed itself so much.

Raed

Is deer hunting ( legally ) unlawful if your with in the said 150 foot rule?

Yes, but note the language, which I have verified with DNR.

If you are 51 yards, measured from the edge of the ROW, you can shoot a deer that is 1 foot off the road.

It's against the law to shoot across a public road, so that your limit looking back at the road.

If I wanted to be a real prick, I could make the point that deer hunting in that zone is not illegal (your question), but discharging a firearm is. You could bow hunt, no problem.

Just for grins and giggles, drive around on opening day of dove season and see how many folks are less than 50 yds. from the edge of the ROW. I've seen people get written up for shooting across the road (where you can be 200 yds. away) but never for being too close to the road as long as they were shooting toward the field.

Yes, but note the language, which I have verified with DNR.

If you are 51 yards, measured from the edge of the ROW, you can shoot a deer that is 1 foot off the road.

It's against the law to shoot across a public road, so that your limit looking back at the road.

If I wanted to be a real prick, I could make the point that deer hunting in that zone is not illegal (your question), but discharging a firearm is. You could bow hunt, no problem.

Just for grins and giggles, drive around on opening day of dove season and see how many folks are less than 50 yds. from the edge of the ROW. I've seen people get written up for shooting across the road (where you can be 200 yds. away) but never for being too close to the road as long as they were shooting toward the field.
Excellent feedback, just curious is the 150 ft rule measured from the structure out? And if I understand what you said point in a safe direction is sorta OK ,ie away from homes or streets. And said animal is located outside the 150 ft rule can be engaged?

SneakyPete, your original post really isn't excluding
self-defense or protection of your property,
if you are contemplating being menaced, on your own property,
by a pack of coyotes, feral dogs, etc.

That muddies the waters, and any use of gunfire in such a circumstance may or may not be legal depending on an analysis of all the facts and circumstances
as you perceived them to be,
and the REASONABLE inferences & conclusions you draw from those facts.

Excellent feedback, just curious is the 150 ft rule measured from the structure out? And if I understand what you said point in a safe direction is sorta OK ,ie away from homes or streets. And said animal is located outside the 150 ft rule can be engaged?

State law does not have any limitation on the distances from structures. Gwinnett probably does, the National Forests do, but I am not prepared to comment on those.

As far as state law is concerned, if your patio is more than 50 yards from the road, you can sit on it and shoot.

most cities have a prohibition on the discharge of weapons inside city limits...

Yes, so a search on MUNICODE.COM
for Gwinnett County ordinances
and City of Lilburn ordinances / codes also.

You'll need that to have a full picture of how "the law"
treats these scenarios of shooting in your backyard
or from the house into the yard.

That muddies the waters, and any use of gunfire in such a circumstance may or may not be legal depending on an analysis of all the facts and circumstances
as you perceived them to be,
and the REASONABLE inferences & conclusions you draw from those facts.

My backyard backs up to a vacant lot which backs up to a Montessori school playground. I live in your typical cookie cutter subdivision with Biden signs all over. It's Athens Clarke County, no shooting allowed. A couple of coyotes apparently came to premature deaths in the vacant lot. You would be surprised how little noise a .22 fired through the French doors makes - or so I was told by a friend.

There are deer there too, they get a pass, because no arguable reason to shoot them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom