• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm Boxes: To Keep or Not To Keep?

Keep the boxes?

• Yes, I'm not an anarchist

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No, I'm not a hoarder

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • There is no taco option. Deal with it.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Wistone

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
Banned Permanently
1   2
Reaction score
What does everyone do with the boxes firearms come in? I've saved them for years but contemplating throwing them out. I've moved them from room to room too many times. I could see keeping a box if it was for a collectible gun. Every used gun I've purchased did not come with a box, so I can't see how a box could make resale much higher if any.

My FIL (deceased) was in his backyard one afternoon tending a huge bonfire. I asked him what he was burning (it was hot, August I think, 1994) and he said, "Gun boxes." I was horrified.

He'd just taken a large collection of pre-'89 ban guns on consignment from a widow in Cola, SC and he didn't "have the room in the house to store the boxes."

Polytech Legends, HK91's, 94's, Colt Green Labels, Valmets, Maadis, Galils, Fabrique Nationale FN/FALs, FNCs, etc. You name it. He had it. He burned them all. A tragedy. Huge financial loss in my opinion.

Always save the boxes and anything else from the factory, with the possible exception of the stupid lock (although if it's branded I even save those).

I've always found that selling a gun with 'box and docs' is more likely to get a better price, and is also more likely to speed up a sale.

And when it comes to older guns the box increases the value tremendously. I have a Savage 1907 that has the box and docs, and I've been offered almost twice the 'normal' price for a common, but very cool old gun.

Storage is a pain, but I simply buy a few of those Christmas tree storage bags to hold them all and toss them up in the attic. They do just fine up there and I have some boxes more than a decade old that look brand new.

Always save the boxes and anything else from the factory, with the possible exception of the stupid lock (although if it's branded I even save those).

I've always found that selling a gun with 'box and docs' is more likely to get a better price, and is also more likely to speed up a sale.

And when it comes to older guns the box increases the value tremendously. I have a Savage 1907 that has the box and docs, and I've been offered almost twice the 'normal' price for a common, but very cool old gun.

Storage is a pain, but I simply buy a few of those Christmas tree storage bags to hold them all and toss them up in the attic. They do just fine up there and I have some boxes more than a decade old that look brand new.
Bunches in the attic. Those things take up a lot of room.

Back
Top Bottom