• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finances for retirement

As I've stated before, land has been a good investment for me (not the only one mind you)I bought and sold small parcels thru out my working life, land rarely go's down in value and if you chose wisely you can make a lot over what was paid for the property. I own no one, own 2 homes free and clear,1 car and 2 trucks all paid for. Wife and I both retired at 60,travel,and have no wants.
My advise, pay off the cards, invest in anything that your company offers a contribution match on, buy land, save up to buy things (don't use card unless its an emergency. Good luck

Great advice

I am not smart enough so I interviewed 6 certified financial planners/advisors and picked one. Even though I am playing catch up after a divorce when I retire I will have a good life. Live as debt free as possible now and after you retire. Not having a mortgage when you retire is a big plus.

I believe that debts are the biggest threat to one's finances for retirement. I haven't met a single person that would disagree with me on that. The comparison might not be the best, but for me having debts is similar to having a relative living in another country. It is a problem, and the only thing you can do is to accept the situation and wait for better times. Having control over your finances when you are young is extremely important if you want to avoid having debts when you retire. You can also hire a financial coach because the financial coach fees nowadays are affordable, and anyone has the opportunity to have his personal financial coach.

Here's my $ .02...
1) the TSP is your best friend!!
a. Convert it to TSP ROTH now while early. Yes you'll pay some tax on the conversion, but time will be good to you with no tax at the end of it.
b. Dump as much as possible to the C fund and FORGET ABOUT IT. Markets up, markets down DOESN'T MATTER.
c. There is NO reason to go conservative (move to income) even near retirement, you do not HAVE to withdraw it, or annuitize it, upon retirement.
2. All the market return indicators are scewed...they are ALL golden because the 1/3/5/10 year returns are all post 08.

Back
Top Bottom