• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finances for retirement

It’s not considered making money,if you’ll spend whatever profit you have or more just to buy the same dwelling or less lol

Remember it’s not all about what you make,it’s also about what you spend

Oh I know, that's why I was joking about moving into an apt

You make some strong points. My new neighbor bought his house next door to mine and paid $20k more than I paid for mine 9 years ago. I'd love to sell mine and pocket the money, but I'd have to move into an apt lol...

Thats the whole point. Theres no way to sell and pocket the "increase in value" and replace the needed asset. Thats why its not an increase in value but is actually inflation.

In determining the amount of $$$ you will need you should consider that you will be self-supporting for 25-30 years. So a conservative amount might be
3500/month X (25x12). That would be roughly 1.1M less Social Security plus 4% inflation. Good Luck.

As you get closer to retirement you'll want to convert you portfolio from growth to income generating.
I have started this conversion as I am <5years to when I plan to retire.
Here are some income generating ETF's I've been trying for the last year:
AMLP, FPE, KBWD, PFF, PFG, DIV, SDIV, YYY, ZMLP
All of these pay >5% dividend, Most pay monthly. My retirement plan is to live off the SS and Dividends (not touching the principle).
PFF & PFG are both an ETF made up of many Preferred Stock (a.k.a the modern day Bond).
Let me know what your favorite Income Generating positions are.

Thank you for that info! I'm going to research those when I get home.

I am 30 and started a Roth IRA and another safe annuity earning 3% ( Inflation only I know) a few years ago. I have it built to 75k now but this last year has slowed it down. I have however started talking to a financial planner and I am trying to figure it all out.

My goal is to retire @ 55/60 at most. 25/30 years. I now just have to find a solid earner/investments that beat inflation.

I see AmericanFund mutual fund is earning high teens rates.

You make some strong points. My new neighbor bought his house next door to mine and paid $20k more than I paid for mine 9 years ago. I'd love to sell mine and pocket the money, but I'd have to move into an apt lol...

one big area taht increased value helps is renting. Im fairly young (just popped 30) and im doing all the general stuff you hear and have 12% going to my 401k but an area im honestly planning on making some extra income would be properties. Im already getting fairly close (less than 20k) to paying off my current house and then i plan on upgrading to a larger home but when i do i wont be selling off this house i'll be renting it. I figure multiple properties is the best way to use appreciating values as an investment. Im hoping to finish paying off this one and then one i move into the next one i'll just continue making payment as i am now. but then i'll have ~ 10k a year in rental profits (already taking into account repairs and bills). im hoping to use that 10k as payments towards another rental property that way i can end up with several income generating properties and at the end of the day i can sell them if the market is hot enough and wait around till it cools back off to buy any more.

properties and that kind of thing honestly make the most sense to me just because its the easiest for me to understand. i've tried learning more on the stock market but have never had the time to really dive in and learn everything i can. as for now i just give it all to my father in law and trust he'll know more than i or most ever will and hope for the best lol.

i really need to start posting up some of the emails he gives me and see if anyone else can make sense of this craziness so i can start understanding it.

Back
Top Bottom