• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally bought a Dillon - worth the price?

done911

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
15   0
Reaction score
I don't post on ODT very much, but I have read a number of threads from new reloaders or more experienced reloaders that have been considering a Dillon.

I have been reloading since the late 80's off and on. I have always used single stage presses from RCBS or LEE with one exception of a short trial run on a Lee turret. They all made great ammo and there is no absolute need for a progressive from a quality of ammo standpoint.

I am kind of cheap I guess and most of my equipment is Lee due to price.

I finally decided to plunk down the $$ and give a Dillon a shot. I knew I could get the majority of my money back if I decided to sell it, so the risk was minimal. I purchased a 550c with all the options that you see on the web site, so it was a fair chunk of change.

After using it a bit, I can say that "Yes, it's worth the money" IF you load a significant volume of ammo.... IF you get the accessories with the press. I would like it a lot less without the strong mount, the brass, bullet, finished round bins and roller handle. I could have lived without the low powder indicator, but it is nice to have. Bottom line in my opinion this is a buy once and cry once type of purchase.

the operation of the press is smooth and tolerances are significantly better than my Lee stuff. It will not replace my single stage press for many operations like brass prep (223 range brass mostly) or resizing magnum rifle rounds (although I'm sure it is strong enough to do it)

My only real complaint is the adjustment of the powder measure and the fact that there is no way to get close on your powder measurement other than trial and error. Buy the little wheels that attach to the adjustment nut on the measure. I know some people dont mind the standard nut, but I feel it is a crime to have this system on a high end unit.

Well that's the opinion from a traditionally "Cheap" owner. I hope some find it useful.

PS There is no blue kool aid included in the box.... lol

Congrats on your purchase.

Believe it or not for pistol rounds with small charges, I prefer to use the Lee Auto-Disc w/ riser instead of the Dillon powder measure. Gives me more precise charges, plus no danger of the adjustment getting bumped up or down.

I started on a 550B. You can use Lee dies on it without issue. You can also use the Lee Autodisk powder drop setup on it. I use the Dillon powder drop for rifle cartridges, but found for handgun loads the Lee is much easier to setup and repeat the next go around. I can say for sure the Lee Loadmaster is a heck of a lot more difficult to tune to load without hiccups than the Dillon. I got it in a trade, and only use the Lee for 40 and 9mm and the Dillon for developing loads in those cartridges and loading everything else.

Edit:
Madcow, just noticed your post, you and I think alike.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom