• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally bit the bullet & bought a CUCV K5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will man the turret when the ****ing zombies come out!

-Get some!

Seriously!

-My dream job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments, I actually found it on steel soldiers forum, bought it in Hiwassee, basically fully restored, all I need is a set of steps to get my old artifical hipped, ass up into it. Anyone know where to find steps without getting scalped.

I thought we had a talk about this and the LACK of EMP shielding.

Edit:

Never the less, it's a nice one! I need to get back to working on my M1008.

If it is an older diesel 6.2L, it should be reasonably EMP resistant. Once the engine is running, there is an electric fuel shutoff valve that stops it. Replace that with a cable operated valve and you should be good to go. Electricity is not required to keep it running. My Excursion is a computerized diesel, so I don't enjoy the same EMP resistance that you do.

I drove one of those when I worked for the county 14 years ago. It was noisy, totally underpowered and otherwise cool.

Last edited:
If it is an older diesel 6.2L, it should be reasonably EMP resistant. Once the engine is running, there is an electric fuel shutoff valve that stops it. Replace that with a cable operated valve and you should be good to go.

I drove one of those when I worked for the county 14 years ago. It was noisy, totally underpowered and otherwise cool.

Problem is, the glow plug controller will die. The two alternators will die. The IP electromagnetic shutoff valve *should* survive. But the rest of the electrical system that controls it will be in shambles.

Push came to shove, you could pretty easily jumper the IP to 12v, then use a small section of wire to jump the relay and force the starter to engage. Just won't have a viable charging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom