• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

fill in barrel cut grooves

Biggie_Chan

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Poors be gone
65   0
Reaction score
What would be the best way to go about filling in the barrel pin cut on the vz58 barrel?
zzzzB05E8C34-19B3-4D77-9EB5-68F87560F8B7.jpg

aesthetically or structurally? Cause if just for looks I would probably do like JB weld or similar and grind it to match. If I was really serious about it, I would have it cut/crowned on the good side of the cut.

aesthetically or structurally? Cause if just for looks I would probably do like JB weld or similar and grind it to match. If I was really serious about it, I would have it cut/crowned on the good side of the cut.
I'm pretty sure it cannot be cut as it's only 15.4" now (if original). What was on it? Who made it? Does it have a Tenn. address on the receiver? I think the ones made by the Tenn outfit were 16" barrels. I cannot recall. Sold mine years ago.

structurally, this is part of the barrel that goes into the receiver. I was debating taking my tig welder and doing small hits and than smoothing it out. I have just never refilled a barrel cut. So I am not sure

zzzodtcut.jpg

A couple of cold hits with the tig and mild steel, and you should be alright. BUT!!!! I'm a welder, not a gunsmith, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night...So what do I know...

structurally, this is part of the barrel that goes into the receiver. I was debating taking my tig welder and doing small hits and than smoothing it out. I have just never refilled a barrel cut. So I am not sure

View attachment 3779585
how much material is left between the thinnest part there and the inside of the chamber? I'd be more nervous because of that location needing to withstand pretty significant pressure.

Here's exactly what I'd do. I'd drill the receivers barrel pin hole out and then headspace and see if by chance it headspaces with the original cut. If it's a little off a enlarge barrel pin can be used. If it's way off then just drill the new grove. If it's close but not close enough to use a enlarged barrel pin then weld it up and re cut it.

Back
Top Bottom