• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FFL Transfer Question

My original comment was with regard to the popular shipping options (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL) that do not allow shipping of handguns from private party to private party (nonlicensee as ATF puts it). I can concede that if you find another shipping company that allows it, then sure, go for it. I'm just not sure who else is out there that would allow it.
UPS and Fed Ex allow it. Have done it, shipped to and received from. Has to go overnight.
Sorry, but your misinformed.

Reactions: TRS
Fedex and UPS rules say that only an FFL can ship a handgun with their service unless being shipped to an FFL or back to the factory for repair so, while it is not illegal it is a PITA. You can do it and not tell them what it is but if it got lost they would not likely pay the insurance claim once they found out what it was.
Link to this???
I disagree.

Link to this???
I disagree.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page
Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).
It would be cheaper to go through an FFL and pay for priority mail than it would to use overnight air, which is kind of silly when it is shipping within the same state.

Laws for shipping are as follows. Shipped many of gun from Virginia back to Georgia. Box must not have any markings indicating its contents. Also must be express shipped. No ammo in the box. It's a good idea to have a gun related shop name to who you are shipping to.
I shipped a gun to a Lumber co. That was a hardware store and a gun shop in there. I get a call one morning and a deep voice came over the phone and said this is so and so with the ATF we are here in Lynchburg and if you have the time could you meet us at Kroger in Boonsboro. Of course I agreed. They walked over to the car carrying the box In had sent to the Lumber Co. It contained handgun in it plastic box. They said Mr. Vess you packed your firearm in accordance of the law but we are concerned to who you are shipping it to. I told him they had a gun shop and the buyer that had the FFL was on Vacation. They called right then and there and verified that indeed there was a gunshop inside the premises and had a viable FFL. They told me they would return the package ,( to FedEx ) yes boys they are watching your mail. They also said we will tell them that there is a FFL at this location.
Now you talking about dropping a deuce in your underwear try getting a call from the ATF at 8 am. In the morning.
I was floored when I found out they were opening packages and inspecting them. More infringement on our rights boys.

Make sure there is s bill of sale with each other's name exactly like it appears on your DL. Make sure the addresses match. Cross every T and dot every I. The FFL are very anal about that. Everything has to match exactly. Also put a photo copy of your DL from and back and get with each other and word bills of sale perfect with each other only the signatures reversed obviously. I know I am talking a lot but I don't want one letter in a name misspelled holding your gun in limbo until the other can resend the correct information. The FFL can not make s mistake or let one item slip. It's their ass on the line.

I use a FFL to ship. They get really low rates. Last gun In shipped was a rifle. Through ups it was 90 express mail. The FFL charged me 60 bucks. Transfer to ship 60 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom