• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

FAL Upper reciever question

soljavet01

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
Could somebody please help me out here, I have an imbel parts kit for a FAL with everything besides the upper receiver. I have been looking for one for the last month or so and would like to buy it from a person rather than from an FFL. I am not shady or a criminal, I am just trying to be smart with what may come in the future. I have never built my own gun and with a full upper receiver I do not believe I would have that much of a problem doing it. I have over 12 years weapons experience with the Army. I the gentleman offering me “de-milled” parts which he says I can use on the imbel set up. He seems like a straight up guy from what I can tell, but I have never dealt with anything like this before. Below are the pictures of what he is offering me, and it doesn’t seem to me like it would be that easy of a job, but again I have never done this before. The gentleman wants $375 for this which seems a little steep to me since it’s not a full receiver, and that is another reason why I’m asking for advice. From the looks of what you can see here I have two questions. The first question is will it be relatively easy for me to make these two pieces into an upper receiver for my FAL? The second question is, is $375 skyhigh? I know the market is bleak right now, and everything is a lot more expensive, but I am not sure that $375 is a fair price. Any help on this would be appreciated, thank you.
FAL upper 1.jpgFAL upper 2.jpgFAL upper 3.jpg

I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I know. A new Coonan receiver is $300, but I don't know what the lead time is on those right now. What you have there is actually an upper in the FAL world, it's more like a stripped lower is to the AR world. You also have a bolt carrier and cover, it doesn't look like there's a bolt in there? That one is missing the ejector block, which comes in a new US made or legally imported one. I'm sure that one was removed as it's a "full auto" part that couldn't be imported. I would worry about the legality as well as the safety of welding that together and running it. I'm not sure how hard the scare has hit the FAL parts market, I was going to order another Imbel kit and the company I ordered from has gone up about $60 some time in the last 6 months.

IMHO don't mess with it. Find a Coonan Type 3 (that should be what you need for an Imbel kit but double check me before you buy) or an Imbel that's been imported and build on that. (or sell me your Imbel kit, I have a receiver waiting for one :wink:) I would worry about the safety, legality, and feasibility of rebuilding that receiver. Tywest is the man on this site when it comes to FAL's and 308 battle rifles, and a cool guy. If you want a more educated opinion hit him up.

Do those halves even go together? Looks like the finish is off. When they demill a gun the kit usually comes with that short stub on the barrel, but you don't get the back half.

Back
Top Bottom