• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

F-100 Rebuild

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
Anyone know a machine shop in Atlanta with experience on old Y-block Fords?

I had planned on swapping in a 2001 302 and T-5 combo, but think I want to stick with the old original...

Anyone know a machine shop in Atlanta with experience on old Y-block Fords?

I had planned on swapping in a 2001 302 and T-5 combo, but think I want to stick with the old original...
Are you planning to drive this vehicle on any road trips? Something you might want to consider is the availability of parts for a y-block. Most auto parts stores do not stock parts for them anymore, most counter guys won't even know what you're talking about. A late model 302 is a good choice for a driver.

Nah. Not really. May cruise up to the pub and around town a little. It was my dad’s and I remember riding to the ball park, running around town, even driving it a bit in high school. It always ran good but got caught in the floods about 10 years ago. We pulled it apart and got all the water out, but it never ran right after that. I finally have a little time and money to start working on it again. Would like to have it just as I remember, 3-on-the-tree and all.

What year and size engine ?

Find a couple of old fashioned machine shops that actually do the work themselves instead of shipping it to Mexico

And ask if they have rebuilt a Y block
If they say no , ask if they know anyone who has experience with em

That’s the way I’ve found car parts at junkyards , when they say no , always ask “do you know of anybody who might have one ?”

After about the fifth call you will find what you’re looking for

I have a friend with a 68 galaxy
His is a FE 390 but the galaxy club may know
I will ask

05a8d7072218ab9ce6cf60ce22b9c9e8.png

Got a fast response !

I’ve driven the 390 that this guy rebuilt , it runs great , you should see the car , nicely restored 68 galaxy convertible,

Not a Y block but a good place to start

It’s a 1956 272 v-8. I’m going to definitely call around and am stopping by a local shop in the neighborhood that specializes in classics and customs.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom