• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Extension of BOS thread -- can you prove you own the guns you own?

Would there not be a big problem if you bought a gun and at some point was stopped by a road check etc and it was stolen. Would " I bought from some guy walking around in a gun show" be a good enough answer?

Would there not be a big problem if you bought a gun and at some point was stopped by a road check etc and it was stolen. Would " I bought from some guy walking around in a gun show" be a good enough answer?

Yes. But unless you are being arrested there should not be any need in the numbers being run.

Not necessarily. I remember a thread on here a while back about that guy who was busted for transporting guns between Atlanta and New York using airplanes. IIRC, a member on here was contacted about a gun he sold and it was a non-issue because he had sold it breaking no State or Federal laws.

Real life isn't CSI contrary to popular belief, and at least in this State we don't have a registry. The ATF also operates with a limited budget. I recall a story an LGS told me a few years ago where someone had committed a murder with a rifle and local PD was going around to regional stores seeing if one of them had sold the firearm. Don't know how much truth there was to that story, but it seems to me that there isn't some omnipotent system for tracking down a gun.

Plus, FFL's are only required to keep records for 25 (I believe) years, and there are many firearms that haven't been in the system in that time frame. Hell, how many firearms are out there that were sold by a commercial outlet prior to the 1968 Gun Control Act? You can't track those guns.
That's why gun registration is a hoax. When someone is murdered you find the last person they slept with , ripped off or fought publicly with and that's who did it. People get convicted without a murder weapon ever having been recovered.
The 4473 was designed to eventually remove guns from law abiding citizens hands not to solve murders.

That's why gun registration is a hoax. When someone is murdered you find the last person they slept with , ripped off or fought publicly with and that's who did it. People get convicted without a murder weapon ever having been recovered.
The 4473 was designed to eventually remove guns from law abiding citizens hands not to solve murders.

Yep, makes me think of Red Dawn, when the Cuban general tells his subordinate to go to the gun stores and get the 4473's. That didn't work out so well for Mattie's dad

Back
Top Bottom