• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Executive Order on Braces

It was a special election to finish the last 2 years of the last senators term. There is definitely an election next year.

I thought Kelly Loeffler was appointed by the governor to finish Johnny Isaakson's term. Warlock beat her in a general election for a regular term. Maybe I am confused.

2022 election. After that, it'll be back to 6-year term. It's a weird one.

So what are the specifics of this new executive order? Is it retroactive? Everyone with a brace must now register their gun as an SBR? Or does it only apply to new braces purchased after a specific date?

I see it will take 60 days for the Justice Department to make these rule changes? Can they make previously legal products illegal and make it retroactive?

Short answer is 'yes'.

CGA '68 and later gun bills (including the ones up now) give the US Atty. General almost full control over 'interpreting' the laws. That power gets delegated to the ATF usually, but the AG can always reclaim it themselves if they want to.

Since braces were something brought into existence by ATF rules, there's absolutely nothing stopping the ATF from taking them out of existence as well. Before the OG 'SIG brace' the most you could put on a buffer tube was some paracord, and it couldn't be capable of mounting a stock.

The only thing that could cause them some problems is the 'takings' clause, since they would be destroying people's private property without compensation.

I'm not sure how that didn't win in court for bumpstocks, but it would probably come up again for braces, and there are a lot more of those out there then there were bumpstocks.

Any chance already purchased braces will be grandfathered in and excluded from new rules and executive orders ?

Always a chance. Who knows what they are thinking. That would be tough for them to keep track of though.

I'm thinking they will just go back to the pre-brace rules and that'll be that.

I’m still sad all my firearms were lost in horrible boat fire. I’m so thankful that I can live vicariously through all of you.

0D55C616-21B2-4742-9491-050179D0ADB3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom