• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Every hunting season do you site in your weapon of choice?

How do you go about checking the mounts to assure nothing came loose?
I believe torqueing the screws to check tightness, could in itself cause a shift in zero, just curious how you do it, I like the "concept".

A torque check is last if needed. I will do a hand check to see if I think anything is loose or if I think I feel movement. If so, I will use a curved allen/ torx wrench to check if the screws are loose. If the screws are loose , then I will re-torque , bore sight and fire to check zero. I have two hunting rifles I use and have added a third one this year. If something is loose then I will take a different rifle. I keep some curved allen / torx wrenches in my tool bag in my truck.

How do you go about checking the mounts to assure nothing came loose?
I believe torqueing the screws to check tightness, could in itself cause a shift in zero, just curious how you do it, I like the "concept".
You can use a dab of nail polish on the side of your mount screws after everything is torqued and squared away. It serves kind of like a witness mark and if the screws move, you will see it. Having said that, it won't show if the scope itself has went haywire and I still like to shoot all of mine to check. Many times, it is the only time some of them get shot all year, so why not have some fun with them!

Yes, I Always check for ZERO. Learned LONG ago on a Missed opportunity.
Since then, I check before each season. Recheck if I think my scope got bumped.
Aim SMALL, Miss SMALL guys. Best of luck in the Woods!

I used too and still should. Between time and responsibilities it's been hard too. Bad as I hate to admit it, I haven't checked zero, scope mount screws or cleaned my rifle in a few years. That said, it is stainless and every time I've squeezed the trigger I've dropped a deer.

Another mistake some hunters make is, going out west to higher altitudes. With thinner air the bullet drop is not as much as at sea level...Never I mean Never, go out there without sighted your weapon, after you arrive at your destination.. Food for thought!

Reactions: GFB
I sight in once a year before season. Mostly because I just want to shoot. I don't think I have ever lost zero on my main rifle.

I shoot mine year round and usually no issue but in August I traveled 5 hours and took it out of the case…couldn’t hit the 8” gong at 250…didn’t understand….my nephew suggested that I back up and zero at 100 on paper…shore enough it was low and left by 3”…shot good the rest of the day

Back
Top Bottom