• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ever Heard of Single Footing Horses?

When I was a boy I used to sit with my grandparents in their box at the Mercer County Fair and Horse Show every summer. Some say that the Mercer County show ring is the center of the universe.

Beat me to it. I’ve heard of them referred to as “gaited horses.”
"Gaited horses" yep. The Saddle horse origins are from Southern Planters who wanted to be able to check on their crops at an efficient pace while having a smoother ride than the up and down roll of a horses gallop. A smooth saddle gate looks like a fast trot but is very, very smooth on a well gaited horse. I grew up on one. He was also a Pinto like one of the horses in the vid.

We had an old racking horse ( retired buggy horse) that was a real joy to ride. All the other horse on my farm have always been quarter horses, my twin girls have competed in barrel racing for about the last 15 years. When trail riding, the quarter horses would have to go into a trot or get left behind by the racking horse.

We had an old racking horse ( retired buggy horse) that was a real joy to ride. All the other horse on my farm have always been quarter horses, my twin girls have competed in barrel racing for about the last 15 years. When trail riding, the quarter horses would have to go into a trot or get left behind by the racking horse.
Yes Sir. That racking horse is another name of a Tennessee walker which I'm sure you know. It truly is a very smooth and comfortable gait. I grew up mostly with quarter horses that I love. They tend to have the most comfortable "slow gallop" but a good saddle gait is just hard to beat for comfort. It just turned out that the horse that I bonded with as a kid was a saddle horse. Kudos for you getting your girls into barrel racing. I fear it's a disappearing sport and such a great one for families. Thanks for keeping it going.

Not trying to hijack the OP's post, but some of you may find this kind of neat. Many years ago (I guess in the 70's) my maternal Granddaddy sold about 10 acres to a then fairly young man at the time who became a beloved neighbor and family friend. His name is Jim. Jim raised his kids in the fine house he built on the land and he and his were also horse folks like my Mom and Stepdad who was a horse trainer and farrier (horse shoer). Fast forward over the decades, my family has dwindled down to my Sis and her family that still live on the small property. A couple of years ago we made an arrangement with Jim to use what was my Mothers pastures for his horses. The neat point is that we have all heard of rescue dogs, but not many stories of good folks that rescue horses. That is what Jim has done. He has a retired horse from the NYPD living his life out in south Alabama. He has several, that have come from afar that either he, or one of his now grown children have found and trust me, they are very well cared for living probably the best years of their lives. I just have a real appreciation for these things and thought some of the rest of you could appreciate the little story and a break from the other stuff going on all around us.

Back
Top Bottom