• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever been asked to see tax stamp?

Anyone ever been asked to see a stamp at the range? I got asked over the holidays at a range in OH. I went and did some research and you only are required to show your paperwork to an ATF agent.

What happens if you happen to get asked by an ATF agent and you don't have it with you? Not that I've ever seen an agent or expect to see one.

I would be worried that I would lose it if I carried it with me.

A range master asked you? They can't compel you to show it, but they have a right to not allow you to shoot if you don't show it.

Your 4th Amendment rights end where their private property rights begin. And vice versa.

A range master asked you? They can't compel you to show it, but they have a right to not allow you to shoot if you don't show it.

Your 4th Amendment rights end where their private property rights begin. And vice versa.
Yes a range office asked. I agree, its their range, their rules. I just put it away and he was fine with it.

My real question was: what if an ATF agent asked and you didn't have your stamp on you?

Yes a range office asked. I agree, its their range, their rules. I just put it away and he was fine with it.

My real question was: what if an ATF agent asked and you didn't have your stamp on you?

I believe that's a code violation, althought I haven't read the regs in a long time, so I can't recall whether or not it's a serious violation and whether or not you have a chance to cure it by producing the stamp later. Certainly not worth risking your time or money to find out.

In the grand scheme of things, the code is silly: It's supposed to be a tax issue, not a criminal issue. But the feds have spent decades massaging the code, the courts and public perception to think of it as a criminal thing and not a tax thing.

As others have stated, I keep the tax stamp handy in some form; however I shoot on my own property these days, so it's a non-issue for me.

my little experience, local PD at least out in the country could care less. Most don't even know what the NFA is or know very little
He just checked our backstop and stuck around to watch us shoot cause he’d never seen the stuff before lolol turned into a nice conversation haha

Back
Top Bottom