• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ethernet Cat 8 vs Cat 6

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
219   0
Reaction score
I am planning on installing a Ethernet network at home. Not knowing much about what was currently available, initially I was planning on installing Cat 6 cable. I see that there are Cat 8 cables available as well. More expensive but they go up to 4 times the speed of Cat 6, so I am wondering if that should be the way to go. However, I am not sure about current availability of other components, such as wall plates or Ethernet switches that would allow, in the future, to take full advantage of the performances offered by Cat 8 cables. On amazons, for example, I can find Cat 8 cables but not wall plates.

I am wondering if any of the resident experts may shed some light on the subject.

I am planning on installing a Ethernet network at home. Not knowing much about what was currently available, initially I was planning on installing Cat 6 cable. I see that there are Cat 8 cables available as well. More expensive but they go up to 4 times the speed of Cat 6, so I am wondering if that should be the way to go. However, I am not sure about current availability of other components, such as wall plates or Ethernet switches that would allow, in the future, to take full advantage of the performances offered by Cat 8 cables. On amazons, for example, I can find Cat 8 cables but not wall plates.

I am wondering if any of the resident experts may shed some light on the subject.
If you want to really build a robust network infrastructure then just go fiber and be done with it. Other wise cat6A will suffice for the next 10 years

4K streaming video only uses 16Mbps. You could watch 16 streams simultaneously with just a 100Mbps connection and 62 simultaneously with 1000Mbps. CAT6 is more than sufficient for the next 15-20 years.

Cat 6A is the best play right now for home/business use. Gives you 10 Gps, more than adequate for 4k on multiple devices over the next 10 years.

Most internet providers top out at 1 Gps service to your house, so good to go.

Kinda like highway speeds, how much faster than 80 do you really need to go? Road, car, and your skill set really top out in that sweet spot.

1 Gps is today and next 5 year sweet spot, 10 should hold you for 20 years.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1044

Pair that with any wall plate and good to go!

Cat 6A is the best play right now for home/business use. Gives you 10 Gps, more than adequate for 4k on multiple devices over the next 10 years.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1044

Pair that with any wall plate and good to go!

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it :thumb:

I don’t know of any ISP that offers more than 1Gbps, anything more than cat6 is a waste of money IMO

gNoGEHI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom