• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ETHEREUM - Let's see 'em...your rig

I did some research and I came up with 2 profound problems to solve:
  1. How to mine: What software, where, how, and when...
  2. What rig to build: This is strictly hardware...
So rather to open up a pandora box, i started with just buying a gaming computer with the capability to mine. I ended up with a 3080 RTX graphic card running on a core i9 CPU. With that in mind, i was able to tackle #1 by getting it to work. So in solving #1, i figured out what, where how and when.

Now that I'm earning $11 a day...see here:
https://flexpool.io/0x10eaE4853082D0112C31ab6FAe3D05a8D6078C01

Once I am earning...now I will tackle the what rig to build. So im going to have my son do some research, pricing, shopping and work his way into acquiring the items he need to build a rig.

And since we already know step once, it will be simply plug and play from that point on

Still curious about your power consumption. Have you put a meter on the rig and measured kwh usage?

A typical, starter/home-brew mining setup is going to use around 30 to 60% of mined profit in power use; that's assuming you don't have to supplement with HVAC cooling during warmer months. After accounting for power, the break even on your equipment will typically be about 5 or 6 months.

You might also have been better off just setting up the mining with any old PC and a lower level graphics card, just to get the software setup experience, and then put the gaming rig $ toward a genuine, multi-gpu chasis or even an ARM setup.

Still curious about your power consumption. Have you put a meter on the rig and measured kwh usage?

One of the advantage of living in Georgia is our kwh rate is one of the best. I think we pay about $0.10 per kwh all in. So even if i was to burn thru 1kw every hour, that's at most $2.40 a day, mining at $11 a day. So for now, it's not material enough.

One of the advantage of living in Georgia is our kwh rate is one of the best. I think we pay about $0.10 per kwh all in. So even if i was to burn thru 1kw every hour, that's at most $2.40 a day, mining at $11 a day. So for now, it's not material enough.

I doubt you pay 10 cents "all in." More typical for residential is 12 to 15 cents. And Georgia Power customers (or EMC customers "downstream" of Georgia Power) will be paying surcharges for the Votgle plant cost overruns for decades to come.

Regardless, it seems like the economics will work long enough to pay for your rig.

I doubt you pay 10 cents "all in." More typical for residential is 12 to 15 cents. And Georgia Power customers (or EMC customers "downstream" of Georgia Power) will be paying surcharges for the Votgle plant cost overruns for decades to come.

Regardless, it seems like the economics will work long enough to pay for your rig.
Winter rates are significantly lower than summer rates

Before anyone runs off and drops a couple grand on a high end gaming rig, there is a well established pattern to crypto mining scenarios like this: When a currency takes off and starts to increase in value, it attracts more miners. And more hardware investment. Before long, people with access to free or near free electricity and unlimited cooling capacity deploy hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars worth of custom ASIC built mining computers that will run circles around Nuke's video game setup.

When that happens, the blockchain calculations progress much faster, resulting in slower systems (graphics card setup) not being able to cost effectively mine.

In that way, crypto mining is a bit like gambling with a natural pyramid scheme built in. You bet on a particular currency, but then players with automatic-winning advantages start to play, and you can no longer win.

If you want to try to make money on Ethereum crypto, take the money you might spend on a mining rig, and just buy the coin outright. If Ethereum appreciates even a fraction of what Bitcoin did, you'll be way ahead of the ROI on Nuke's mining setup.

so i
If you want to try to make money on Ethereum crypto, take the money you might spend on a mining rig, and just buy the coin outright. If Ethereum appreciates even a fraction of what Bitcoin did, you'll be way ahead of the ROI on Nuke's mining setup.
So if you mined a BITCOIN back in the day...for next to nothing...is it your position that it's still better to just buy a bitcoin back in the day? Because if you did buy one today...your theory holds true...

Just askin' cuz something today is better than nothing

Back
Top Bottom