• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Enfield Number 5 Mark 1

3D444B0E-C32E-4C58-A87A-E0EBFB196CE7.jpeg
Best I can remember, it should be near the butt pad..
So the only markings I saw on the stock was this stamp on the wrist just behind the trigger guard.

ETA: The guy I got it from said the rifle was his dad's and his dad had oiled the stock, which would account for the dark area around the crown, the N, and the 22. I've no idea what those mean though.

View attachment 2699558
So the only markings I saw on the stock was this stamp on the wrist just behind the trigger guard.

ETA: The guy I got it from said the rifle was his dad's and his dad had oiled the stock, which would account for the dark area around the crown, the N, and the 22. I've no idea what those mean though.
I love the internet for stuff like this. That stamp is an Inspector's Mark and has nothing to do with the serial number.

So I didn't have nearly the time to run this rifle through it's paces like I wanted. I'll have a better opportunity next weekend. In the short term, I ran four rounds through it right handed and four rounds through it left handed. There was some stringing in the RH group but part of that was finding the right hold at 50 yards using the small peep set at 200 yards. The lowest shot was the first.
IMG_3015.jpg

The left handed group was better but still not stellar. I attribute that to me more than to the rifle at this point. It has been a long time since I've done any shooting with a set of peeps. Like most military rifles, the trigger is rather heavy so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well. Recoil was sporty off a bench but no worse than shooting a Mosin M44 or my Win 94 30/30.
IMG_3016.jpg

I grabbed mine off the rack because I was curious about serial numbers being on the stock or not. Mine doesn't and I don't recall them being on the other one I had. It doesn't have the acceptance stamp on it either by the trigger guard. Not sure what the significance of that is. This was my first Enfield but I gotta say that my favorite is the No1 MkIII. It's just a cool looking rifle to me with the full length hand guard. Congrats on the latest addition!

Back
Top Bottom