• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

easiest thing to smoke.

hmmmm baby backs. That reminds me of something I learn from my cousin who is a competitor. He visited me from Arizona and entered into the pigs and peaches in Kennesaw. When he was preparing his meat I noticed he used chicken thighs and pork spareribs. When I asked why he wasnt using chicken breast and baby backs he laughed and said only amateurs used those. Breast are too dry and I think baby backs are too he said, not enough fat to keep it moist. I just found that interesting thats all.

Will agree on breasts, unless you brine! Thighs are ****ing awesome smoked, but do take a while - low/slow! But, I have never smoked babybacks that were dry!

The key to Pork ribs be it baby back or full is to peel off the membrane on the bottom side of the bone...I always spritz with Apple Cider during the smoking process, low and slow.

Never tried a wrapped turkey breast, will have to try it. Seems to me the breast is so lean that an amateur may easily over cook it. On the other hand, butts or shoulders are very forgiving for the beginner.

Turkey is the way to go. Smoked turkey is so much better than baked turkey, no one will notice the details. If you do a shoulder (or butt) everyone is comparing it to every piece of BBQ they have had in their entire life.

As far as cooking turkey breasts, I seldom cook them because I can cook the whole bird for about the same amount of trouble and money, and I am ever loving more cheap. Three times the meat for less money.

If you insist on doing just a breast, brine it. There are all sorts of brine recipes all over the interwebs, look one up. Don't make it too fancy, salt sugar and water,

Then buy a decent thermometer, and cook it to a scant 145 degrees F, take it off, wrap it in aluminum foil and let it sit. If you cook it to 160 degrees F it will have the consistency of cardboard. The difference between smoked turkey and roasted/baked turkey is the smoke turkey will not have that faint gray look to it, and will have a faint line of pink right at the bone.

Pork butt smoked at 220 until an internal temp of 190 is reached. Then wrap in foil and towels and leave it in a cooler for a couple hours.

This.
And tell her it's beef.
Seriously, bone-in chicken leg/thigh quarters are easy and pretty forgiving. Also check out bbq-brethren as mentioned earlier. Good site.

Green Egg @ Ridge Rd 023.jpg
Smoked Scotch Eggs 010.jpg
Smoked Scotch Eggs 012.jpg
Smoked Scotch Eggs 013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom