• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Easiest bread you can make, almost idiot proof

FbodTrek

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
3   0
Reaction score
I make these nearly daily. You can creatively modify ingredients pretty easily. I've done dinner breads, sweet breads and cheese bread using this same base.

3 cups flour
1/4cup sugar
1-2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 stick of butter, melted
1 can of beer, any beer. i'd steer clear of really hoppy stuff though unless you want bitter hoppy bread. Nutty flavored beers work the best, light beers and lagers for default or sweet bread (any "beer flavored beer" works well for the sweets)

For a sweet bread you wasnt to stick with a single tsp of salt and increase the sugar content based on OTHER sweets you're adding to the bread. raisins, Cranberries, ANY dried fruit works AMAZING. Increase sugar content by another 4 tablespoons or so.

Basically, mix dry ingredients, SIFT! And if you don't have a colander or sifter, use a whisk and turn it a LOT. You want the dry stuff well mixed and as fluffy and airy as possible. One of two runs through sifter or 4-5 mins whisking.

now add some ROOM temperature beer slowly, a little at a time, and turn it into the flour with a spoon, you don;t want to "MASH" the dough, just turn it into the beer, there WILL be some dry spots, that's fine. Turn butter in while doing this as well.

grease pan(s)

Plop some dough on in. About halfway or more in a fruitcake loaf tin. I start with a cold oven (bad habits), I set it to 360, and plop it in.

Usually takes about 20 mins

It's done when firm-ish and light golden on top, almost cream. Should come out of pan/tin with ease. Makes for some of the cheapest, tastiest bread around, and ultra easy to modify.

Back
Top Bottom