• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Earf rulz

You would be surprised at the number of people that think a code reader is gonna tell them which part to buy. Wait AutoZone does that all day every day!!
Yea my mechanic skills are limited at best, but that was always my method. Go get the code read, then go home and research for a while as to whether I even wanted to attempt it myself, then go get the parts. I had 5 XJ Cherokee's in a row, so i went through some check engine lights. Those were pretty simple vehicles to work on though. I changed a radiator, several starter motors, alternator, power steering pumps and hoses, numerous door changeouts with stuff I got at the pick n pull, and a crapton of sensors. It was fun.

I remember the days if I couldn’t figure it out Id take my 71 Plymouth hot rod down to a local gas station where the mechanic raced at local drag strip. Pop the hood and he would listen and tell me what to do. He was never wrong. Miss them days

I remember the days if I couldn’t figure it out Id take my 71 Plymouth hot rod down to a local gas station where the mechanic raced at local drag strip. Pop the hood and he would listen and tell me what to do. He was never wrong. Miss them days
You know, I remember them days too....BUT.... I currently drive a double overhead cam VR with considerably more horsepower than a hot small block carbed motor had, that gets 4 times the fuel mileage and will last well over 200K maybe get 300K. Yeah modern stuff is more of a pain to work on and keep up with the tech changes, but todays tech is sooooo much betterer!!

You know, I remember them days too....BUT.... I currently drive a double overhead cam VR with considerably more horsepower than a hot small block carbed motor had, that gets 4 times the fuel mileage and will last well over 200K maybe get 300K. Yeah modern stuff is more of a pain to work on and keep up with the tech changes, but todays tech is sooooo much betterer!!
Oh I get it. These days it takes a computer to fix it. I had a Toyota truck go 268k before I sold it and have a 05 Silverado with 280k now. Still runs like a champ. My Plymouth was done under 90k and got about 9 mpg.

Oh I get it. These days it takes a computer to fix it. I had a Toyota truck go 268k before I sold it and have a 05 Silverado with 280k now. Still runs like a champ. My Plymouth was done under 90k and got about 9 mpg.
Yep, I have to remind myself of this everyday. Just fixed an F150 with a bad fuel pump driver module, it sends modulating current to the fuel pump to regulate fuel pressure, and a glitchy fuel rail pressure sensor......do what?? But again, has tons of power and 22 MPG and 180K on it!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom