• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dry-fire skill development

It takes a lot less ammo to get good at shooting than people might think, the drawback is needing to pay much more attention to your execution during training. The primer crunch forced me to reevaluate my training with the surprising result being that I'm making more progress now in my match results than I did when I had all the ammo I had time to shoot.

A thing I will tell people when dry firing at home(with a pistol) if they want extreme accuracy, is to rack the gun(unloaded of course) and balance a quarter horizontally on the front sight as you have your gun in the aiming position. If you can pull the trigger without the quarter falling off, then your sights did not move and your shot will go where you Aimed it. Of course this is just the very base of learning trigger control, naturally you can get faster at it but it sometimes helps people realize how much flinching or pulling too hard on the trigger throws off their shot. Don’t know how this would translate in terms of competitions because they are a combo of speed and accuracy, but at the range it can help if you just want to stack your shots on each other.

however, the trigger reset can be a pain at times for striker fired pistols

The approach that I recommend here is to prep to the wall for targets leading up to the one where you drop the hammer/striker. This is applies to dry firing with an unloaded firearm, one with a laser device, or doing deficiency training with a loaded firearm. I cover this in detail in my classes.

When I’m working with a new or young shooter, we start out with a laser cartridge. This helps to get muscle memory going, hand to eye coordination and no expense on ammo.

Back
Top Bottom