• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drop Shot?

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I've tried just about everything else on suspended fish in Lanier with little success. Might as well give a Drop Shot a try. I've never used that rig, but YouTube is my friend. Anyone here have experience with this set up?

I second the above statement but I use a drop shot weight. I know it’ll play mind games with you but if you can drop down to 6lb test when the fish are finicky and lethargic in the summer drop shotting you’ll catch more fish.

I personally haven't had much luck with it. But a buddy of mine fishes tournaments and I'm pretty sure he does. But that guy can catch fish every time he goes out...

I second the above statement but I use a drop shot weight. I know it’ll play mind games with you but if you can drop down to 6lb test when the fish are finicky and lethargic in the summer drop shotting you’ll catch more fish.
I'm rigging with 8lb, but I'm going to have 6lb floro with me. I'm going to try a variety of soft plastics, live and cut bait. All of it on #2 light wire hooks.

I'm have very little problem finding schools of suspending fish (spots, stripers?), but getting them to eat is a whole different story.

I'm rigging with 8lb, but I'm going to have 6lb floro with me. I'm going to try a variety of soft plastics, live and cut bait. All of it on #2 light wire hooks.

I'm have very little problem finding schools of suspending fish (spots, stripers?), but getting them to eat is a whole different story.
With my experience on Lanier from when I used to fish tournaments pretty regular out there, some of the schools are hard to get fired up but man after that first bite it’s on.

I’m a bass fisherman. I haven’t ever targeted stripers so that’s not my expertise.

With my experience on Lanier from when I used to fish tournaments pretty regular out there, some of the schools are hard to get fired up but man after that first bite it’s on.

I’m a bass fisherman. I haven’t ever targeted stripers so that’s not my expertise.
How long would you work a school without success before moving on? Run and gun or dig your heels in and keep working that school?

How long would you work a school without success before moving on? Run and gun or dig your heels in and keep working that school?
Winter time I’ll work a school for 2 hrs or so sometimes if I know it’s holding good fish, but summertime depending on boat traffic weather etc, 30 minutes to an hour. I’m a lot more patient in the winter time though, the suns not killing me. Lol

I’ve got a buddy that had some success this summer. I think he said he was using blue back herring. Not sure about that though. He did say live bait got them going when nothing else would. Good luck Bear44 Bear44 It can be frustrating this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom