• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Done with Nissan….need ODT car buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once had a full size pickup (2 wd) as a beater / furniture hauler / spare car that would only get used a dozen times a year,
and a regular sedan as a daily driver. That worked pretty well for fitting my lifestyle, but it was expensive having two vehicles to buy and pay for (well, only one was financed... but both had to have insurance, tags, and service at the shop).

Later I switched to a King Cab 4WD pickup as my sole motor vehicle. That was also a good fit for my lifestyle. But the truck wasn't as comfortable and quiet on the highway to drive as the car was. It sucked gas. I felt that it was "wasteful" to use a 4 wheel drive truck with off-road capability to drive to work 95% of the time, and only used the bed a dozen times a year at most. And the inside of the cab wasn't as big as wanted for stuff that needed to stay dry and safe.

So then several years later I went with an SUV, a 2WD version, as my do-everything vehicle. I no longer had an off-road hunting or camping vehicle that could handle logging roads and power line service trails, but I got a quieter ride, a little better gas mileage, and plenty of room in the cab-- dry and secure.

BUT I MISSED THE HAULING CAPABILITIES OF THE PICKUPS that I used to own. Landscaping materials, trash, firewood, etc. All that needs to go in a truck bed* and the fact that my SUV had a luggage rack on the roof wasn't helpful.

* But, that kind of stuff could go on a trailer, and small trailers aren't expensive, and don't need their own insurance....

SO, I'm thinking about having a small all-wheel-drive SUV as my do-everything vehicle, daily driver and weekend play vehicle, but with a small trailer parked in my yard for those several times per year when I want to haul something dirty or bulky.
P.S. The lower height of the deck on a landscaping type open trailer would make it easier to load heavy stuff, too, compared to the waist-high tailgate of a 4WD pickup.
By your description of what you are looking for, looks like you may need to head over to the Subaru Dealership, pick one...all the models will do exactly what you describe.

I once had a full size pickup (2 wd) as a beater / furniture hauler / spare car that would only get used a dozen times a year,
and a regular sedan as a daily driver. That worked pretty well for fitting my lifestyle, but it was expensive having two vehicles to buy and pay for (well, only one was financed... but both had to have insurance, tags, and service at the shop).

Later I switched to a King Cab 4WD pickup as my sole motor vehicle. That was also a good fit for my lifestyle. But the truck wasn't as comfortable and quiet on the highway to drive as the car was. It sucked gas. I felt that it was "wasteful" to use a 4 wheel drive truck with off-road capability to drive to work 95% of the time, and only used the bed a dozen times a year at most. And the inside of the cab wasn't as big as wanted for stuff that needed to stay dry and safe.

So then several years later I went with an SUV, a 2WD version, as my do-everything vehicle. I no longer had an off-road hunting or camping vehicle that could handle logging roads and power line service trails, but I got a quieter ride, a little better gas mileage, and plenty of room in the cab-- dry and secure.

BUT I MISSED THE HAULING CAPABILITIES OF THE PICKUPS that I used to own. Landscaping materials, trash, firewood, etc. All that needs to go in a truck bed* and the fact that my SUV had a luggage rack on the roof wasn't helpful.

* But, that kind of stuff could go on a trailer, and small trailers aren't expensive, and don't need their own insurance....

SO, I'm thinking about having a small all-wheel-drive SUV as my do-everything vehicle, daily driver and weekend play vehicle, but with a small trailer parked in my yard for those several times per year when I want to haul something dirty or bulky.
P.S. The lower height of the deck on a landscaping type open trailer would make it easier to load heavy stuff, too, compared to the waist-high tailgate of a 4WD pickup.
I definitely agree with the small suv and trailer option. That’s where I am and will probably not purchase another giant 4x4 truck for personal use. Better on gas, better ride and easy to park in tight spots. Wife likes her 2021 explorer st. Not my first choice, but she’s happy. Toyota or Subaru are two I’d consider for long term reliability.

I definitely agree with the small suv and trailer option. That’s where I am and will probably not purchase another giant 4x4 truck for personal use. Better on gas, better ride and easy to park in tight spots. Wife likes her 2021 explorer st. Not my first choice, but she’s happy. Toyota or Subaru are two I’d consider for long term reliability.
If I were going to buy a SUV it would be a Toyota 4 Runner. They are the most under appreciated reliable body on frame SUV's on the planet (aside from the Land Cruiser). Subarus are kinda reliable but they are quirky and require diligent adherence to the maintenance schedule, and they require a mechanic that actually knows how to work on Subarus. ..(we have 2 of them in the immediate family).

Yup.....done with Nissan.
Picking it up tomorrow.
664475945.jpg

Need running boards?
I am going to True Prep tomorrow, I could swing by.....

Need running boards?
I am going to True Prep tomorrow, I could swing by.....
I am going to put running boards, a tonneau cover, and mud guards on it but we’ll be gone tomorrow. Gotta pick it up in Milledgeville.

I got this flaps. Fit as good as OEM.
D-Lumina Mud Flaps Compatible with Toyota Tacoma 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 - W/OEM Fender Flares Only (Doesn't Fit SR Models) - Heavy Duty Weathertech Front&Rear Mudflaps Splash Guards https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B089CZVJFG
Thanks. I may take you up on those rails later, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom